Carers UK is supporting the Association of Directors of Adult Social Services (ADASS) in encouraging good practice for the Carers Challenge 2023.
Led by ADASS, the Carers Challenge aims to inspire people who work with unpaid carers to tell the story of how they’re supporting carers in their communities.
These stories will then be compiled to develop an online resource for other organisations to learn and draw inspiration from, helping them improve their own services for carers.
Helen Walker, Chief of Executive, Carers UK, said:
“This is such a great initiative to bring more good practice in supporting unpaid carers to light. We’re really pleased and grateful that Beverley Tarka, President of ADASS, has chosen to make unpaid carers one of her priorities this year and to focus on better support.
“Whilst we are sharing calls with the ADASS President that seek more funding for social care and unpaid carers, the Carers Challenge is about focusing on what is working well and where we can make a difference.
“I strongly encourage local carers’ organisations, local voluntary organisations, social care teams, and others to get involved and share their great practice with ADASS.”
What is the challenge looking for?
Any initiative, big or small, which makes a positive difference to carers.
It could be a new project, or just a change in the way you work which will help support carers. For example:
- Using technology like social media and apps to help you reach out to more carers
- New ways to connect with and support carers who are less likely to come forward, such as young carers, men, LGBTQ+ carers, and ethnic minority carers
- Targeting those who don’t see themselves as “carers”
- Developing new opportunities for respite breaks for carers
- Raising awareness about new rights in the Carer’s Leave Act 2023
You don’t need to provide lots of evidence or a significant impact report to participate; the focus is on sharing how your idea has helped carers in your community.
Who can participate?
- Social care teams
- Leaders and teams in Integrated Care Systems
- Voluntary, community and social enterprise organisations
- Unpaid carers
- Other NHS and local authority leaders
How can you get involved?
Register to say that you’d like to take part by 9 December 2023. The form asks for a brief description of what you’re doing and details of the key contact for this work.
You can register and find out more about the Carers Challenge here.