It is estimated that 5 million people juggle work and care in the UK - 1 in 7 in every workplace - and this figure is set to increase. Given the stresses and strains that can result from balancing work and caring, it is unsurprising that 1 in 6 carers give up work or reduce their hours to care.
Who are Employers for Carers?
Managed and supported by the specialist knowledge of Carers UK, Employers for Carers (EfC) has evolved from a pioneering group of employers committed to working carers. Our key purpose is to ensure that employers have the support to retain and manage employees with caring responsibilities.
Launched in 2009 as an employers’ membership forum, EfC now has over 215 member organisations across the public, private and voluntary sectors. The total number of employees covered by member organisations is now above the 3.5 million mark.
Examples of ways in which we support our member organisations include:
- Raising awareness of caring and caring issues in the workplace, through lunch and learns and e-Learning courses.
- Reviewing and 'carer proofing' current policies and practice.
- Identifying and engaging with carers in the workplace.
- Developing, supporting and managing staff carer networks.
- Training and supporting line managers to implement carer friendly policies.
- Signposting employees to sources of workplace and external support.
- Providing opportunities to network with, and learn from, other employers at our regular member events.
Click here for a full list of member benefits.