Skip to the content
Choose your content
UK NI Scotland Wales

Join us Login Forum Media enquiries
Choose your content
UK NI Scotland Wales

There are many different technology products and services, some provided through health services or local authorities or some which can be purchased directly.

Many social care departments offer technology solutions (they may call them telecare and telehealth), to older and disabled people receiving them as part of their care and support package. Alternatively, they may also suggest where to find them, or you can use the list below. 


Finding products

There are website and online retailers/marketplaces that provide information and sell a range of technology products and services relating to help with everyday challenges and health conditions. 

Specific products and services can also be found through individual providers. 

Online platforms offering advice, information and useful product reviews and comparisons include: 

Online marketplaces where you can buy products and services include: 


Managing costs* 

Depending on your financial circumstances, you may need to pay a charge for technology as social care services are means tested. 

Access to local authority provided – or funded – technology solutions will normally require a needs assessment and will be subject to you meeting the national eligibility criteria and agreeing with the local authority that these technology solutions are the best way to meet your needs. 

Some local authorities also offer technology solutions without the need for a formal assessment, seeing them as a preventative service – in this case the funding would depend on the policy of a local authority. 

Technology solutions for monitoring health conditions are most often provided through the NHS and, if it is available in their area, people with long-term conditions access it via their GP, community health team or hospital specialists. 

However, you can also buy technology products and services directly. 

Some of these products qualify for VAT relief, which means that someone with a chronic disability does not have to pay VAT on these products. 

Visit our page on equipment for the home for more information on funding.  

*Funding information is valid for England and may differ from nation to nation. 


Related content

Latest updates

Carers NI Shortlisted as QUB Student Union RAG Charity of the Year
01 March 24

Carers NI Shortlisted as QUB Student Union RAG Charity of the Year - find out more about the campaign and…

Press Release
Dummy image
Two million employees set to benefit from Carer’s Leave as final details of new law go through Parliament
28 February 24

Final legislation passed in Parliament yesterday seals a groundbreaking new right for two million employees with unpaid caring responsibilities to…

Press Release
Dummy image
MPs and Peers launch survey to gather unpaid carers’ views on their call for a new National Carers Strategy
08 February 24

A cross-party group of MPs and Peers have today launched a new survey to gather the views of unpaid carers…

Press Release
Dummy image
Coalition of Carers Organisations statement on Stormont restoration
31 January 24

Coalition of Carers Organisations statement on the significant damage of political stalemate to unpaid carers in Northern Ireland.

Got a question about caring?

Every day we hear from people who need help with looking after a friend or family member

Become a member for free

Joining Carers UK is free and takes just a few minutes.

Back to top