[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Catheter advice (male) - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Catheter advice (male)

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Yes i have noticed this is a very common topic as over 200 in a day or so,think there is a lot of people with these type of problems and highlighting it might help others as well as me as i do hope so.
I wont try the pipe cleaner way as its only doing what the flush fluid is doing pushing it all up the tube but the advantage in this is its breaking it down and making it loose to flow and the pressure you have to put on with fluid flush aint enough.
Yes i see what you mean with the holes on the side and tried this very fine rubber tube i have out on 2 old catheters and works A1 as i did try it to the top of the old one i had which was blocked it loosened it all up then if you do ever touch the stuff its like a very fine grit/sand which just crumbles,i have measured 2 of these rubber tubes i have so one wont go to the top and the other does,if you move the tube in and out it breaks it up in the catheter so only pushes a small amount.
After 2 days in now you can see like a film covering inside the tube like frosty look.
I would of thought a few on here would have found some way to either unblock or help prevent like a drink to help Debris.
And that a lot aint had or heard of this Blue/Purple bag as its online telling you about it just again no advice to help prevent as its not the urine whats this color its some particle in it to make and leave a film on the rubber tube where the urine sits a period of time.
Thanks to all.
My mum had a catheter when she was living at home, the GP surgery had a "Continence Nurse" who would visit regularly to check that everything was OK. Is this happening with dad?
bowlingbun wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:56 am
My mum had a catheter when she was living at home, the GP surgery had a "Continence Nurse" who would visit regularly to check that everything was OK. Is this happening with dad?
Yes we have a nurse come every Monday for a Flush out but sometimes it blocks just before like a day or so but he does get a lot of these like flaky bits in the tube which in time sticks to the inside like a crust.
Im trying to see if there is anything to dissolve these like a drink inside the bladder to make a bit less or other things to unblock.
Also trying to find out more about this PUBS which is like a chemical in the urine that turns the bag where the urine is purple.
Doctor is no use as they don't know a lot about this stuff as she rang today,asked a lot of nurses about stuff and got a bit of advice but told me to ask on here as other people must have the same thing and use different methods to help.
Hi Jason ... two external sites which could prove to be highly relevant :

http://www.shieldhealthcare.com/communi ... eshooting/

An USA outfit but ... your problem is not confined to a mere geographic location.

http://www.camurology.org.uk/gp/guideli ... -problems/

Department of Urology , Addenbrooke's Hospital , Cambridge ... one of our finest.
Chris From The Gulag wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:55 pm

An USA outfit but ... your problem is not confined to a mere geographic location.

Department of Urology , Addenbrooke's Hospital , Cambridge ... one of our finest.
Hi,thanks for the 2 links above,the 1st one does make a lot of sense of the symptoms of UTI or even a infection but the thing is dad has a few of these but urine sample always ok (what they say) but you go on there word as they say it needs to be sent to hospital to test the urine sample as he has a catheter but dad has most times...very smelly....cloudy....he says like a sensation on the end (not pain) sometimes but i can say they have never said he has had UTI in all the years.
Last uttra scan was about 2 years ago and had 3 of these in last 6 years and nothing all ok just a very large prostate.
This gets better when he first have a new catheter then a week or so after we get the cloudy and white Flakes and then the purple bag which again goes right to infection what i think,we never had this purple bag until 2 years ago and now stuck with it.
I get very frustrated a lot of times if they even send most of these samples off or just test them at out surgery.
jason_19031 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:32 am
Chris From The Gulag wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:55 pm

Hi,thanks for the 2 links above,the 1st one does make a lot of sense of the symptoms of UTI or even a infection but the thing is dad has a few of these but urine sample always ok (what they say) but you go on there word as they say it needs to be sent to hospital to test the urine sample as he has a catheter but dad has most times...very smelly....cloudy....he says like a sensation on the end (not pain) sometimes but i can say they have never said he has had UTI in all the years.
Last uttra scan was about 2 years ago and had 3 of these in last 6 years and nothing all ok just a very large prostate.
This gets better when he first have a new catheter then a week or so after we get the cloudy and white Flakes and then the purple bag which again goes right to infection what i think,we never had this purple bag until 2 years ago and now stuck with it.
Having a catheter a long time i have read you get purple bag but sure there are people who had these more than 6 years.
I get very frustrated a lot of times if they even send most of these samples off or just test them at out surgery.
I saw a programme on TV recently about a new prostate treatment. Maybe it's time to ask the GP to make a referral to a urologist?
Urine shouldn't be thick or smelly. Ideally, it should be the colour of pale lemonade.
bowlingbun wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:05 am
I saw a programme on TV recently about a new prostate treatment. Maybe it's time to ask the GP to make a referral to a urologist?
Urine shouldn't be thick or smelly. Ideally, it should be the colour of pale lemonade.
If you get that colour all the while over a period of time with a catheter you have done well,we have dark blood/blockage/smells/etc and been through doctors/nurses over the last 6 years plus.
With going deeper into stuff like going in to have things done is not a option with dad and also been told this by a few doctors and nurses being his age,91 in July and it would be to big for him and stress on dad and he suffers severe panic attacks.
A water sample should pick up infections along with not feeling well but dad feels fine,we have had doctor home visits to check him from head to toe every 2 to 3 months if not earlier in some cases and all fine,most nurses know more about catheters than GP's.
I was told to ask on here for advice on here by a nurse being if anyone has come across anything to help with the Debris/white flakes in the urine like drink they have and purple bag and other ways they have done to unblock,don't seem a lot of elderly people on here have catheters or if do aint had them for over 6 years what i can see as it makes you look at things in a different way,just 2 other things i would like to ask as i have mixed answers on these as well as the problems above.
1......How ofton do you empty the bag,when its on 250ml or above or every say few hours.
2......you can change bags 5 to 7 days,which is the bast as some say 5 and some 7,i started with 5 now on 7.
Thanks for all on here for the help so far.
I was told to change leg bag every 7 days, change from one leg to other at same time. I empty bag every 4-5 hours, depending on fluid intake. Also told to leave small amount of urine in leg bag to help avoid air lock.
Woodpecker wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:28 pm
I was told to change leg bag every 7 days, change from one leg to other at same time. I empty bag every 4-5 hours, depending on fluid intake. Also told to leave small amount of urine in leg bag to help avoid air lock.
Thanks for your reply and i also do it every 7 days now on a Sunday and have been for about 12 months as use to do it every 5 days.
I did use to empty bag when a bit in but now i do it when its about 200ml or so which in dads case can be as good as all day as a top nurse said its just a more active system at night which a lot of people have even more when older,things slow down.
I never knew about the air lock which does make sense and made me look at something else so thanks for mentioning that.
Is there any elderly people on here with these or people who knows a person who has had one for a nice few years.
....After 4 days where urine comes into the bag at the top and where it sits at the bottom is starting to turn bag a purple.....
so it sounds like build up of bacteria around the catheter and then we will have more Debris because of this.