[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers Allowance & ESA - Carers UK Forum

Carers Allowance & ESA

All about money
Now I have a new dilemma... we get joint ESA support group rate,
and I am now, as OH has been awarded PIP, going to claim carers allowance, which according to a benefits advisor, will be taken off our ESA but hubby will get a disability premium which the benefits advisor said will mean we will be better off, apparently, but somehow I'm not convinced! can anyone explain how this part of the system works? £173.35 take off 62.30 is 111.05 then add premium of 34.40 =145.45 + 62.30 yea have I got that right? figures are approx as not got figures to hand, I am now totally confused!!!! come on all you good people help me out here :) :idea:
Hello Petal. I have been following Your story since the beginning and just wanted to say Well Done. With regards to the carers premium, what you have been told is correct.
With regards to How PIP now affects other benefits and You claiming Carers Allowance, I thought it May be helpful to You to know My Circumstances.
My Husband suffers from a Severe Mental Illness. After He was awarded PIP in Oct 2013, I Decided after lots of research, Not to put Him through the Horror of Claiming ESA and the Assessment process as He was not capable in any way of representing Himself.
I claimed Carers Allowance and Income Support with My Husband added to My Claim.
When ringing to make the initial claim for Income Support I was Encouraged to not claim and for My Husband to claim ESA instead with Me added to the claim. I politely refused and said I was a Carer, Claiming Carers Allowance and I wanted to Make a claim for Income Support.
This went through, I had an initial Work Focused Interview ( 5 minutes and was told they would contact Me again in 3 years unless things changed )
My Husband was asked to attend a Work Focused Interview 6 months later, But I rang and after explaining the Nature of His Disability, They cancelled this and updated their records to show that My Husband would have extreme Difficulty engaging in any interview.
The reason I am giving You so much background is That By Me claiming Carers Allowance and Income Support Means We are better off Financially by £45.95 per week!
If Your Husband makes the claim and claims ESA He will not get the £45.95 Disability premium that is included with Income Support. He will Only get the enhanced Disability premium of £22.60.
Not many people realise this and are told that The Disabled Person Must Claim ESA.
For anyone else reading, You must be in receipt of Carers Allowance to claim Income Support.
My Husband Receives Enhanced DL and Standard Mob.

Pasted Below are examples of what benefit amounts are for Different claims.
I would if You feel unsure about How this information would affect Your current claim, Make an appointment with Either AGE UK, CAB, or Your Local Welfare office and ask them to do a benefits check for Your circumstances. Good Luck and Hope this has been Helpful.

Husband Claiming Assessment Rate ESA and Me claiming CA

Means-tested bill reductions
Council Tax
Support
£1,118.60 £21.39
Your full Council Tax bill of £22.52 per week will be reduced to £1.13
We have included
the amounts we have calculated for contribution-based ESA (£73.10
per week) and Carer's Allowance (£62.10 per week).
Total
Entitlements
£14,841.54
£284.19
weekly

Me Claiming Carers Allowance and Income Support
( Husband is just added to My Claim, )
Council Tax
Support
£1,118.60 £21.39
per week because of your entitlement to Council Tax Support. The
amount you get can be affected by other benefits. We have included
the amounts we have calculated for Carer's Allowance (£62.10 per
week).
Total
Entitlements
£17,244.07
£330.14
weekly

Husband claiming Income Based ESA and Me claiming CA

Council Tax
Support
£1,118.60 £21.39
per week because of your entitlement to Council Tax Support. The
amount you get can be affected by other benefits. We have included
the amounts we have calculated for Carer's Allowance (£62.10 per
week).
Total
Entitlements
£14,841.54
£284.19
weekly

Husband claiming CB ESA Support Group - Me claiming CA
Council Tax
Support
£1,118.60 £21.39
We have included
the amounts we have calculated for contribution-based ESA (£109.30
per week) and Carer's Allowance (£62.10 per week).
Total
Entitlements
£14,841.55
£284.19
weekly
Just to confirm, The above final amounts are with regards to My Own Circumstances and the amount awarded for Our Mortgage. Also My Husband gets Enhanced DL PIP.
The amounts will be different for everyone depending on whether they Rent via Council, Private Rent, Own Outright, or have a Mortgage. However regardless of personal circumstances. The Disability Premium applies ONLY if claiming Income Support.
ESA Does not have this premium, ESA only has, Severe Disability Premium and Enhanced Disability Premium.

This below is copied from the Direct Gov site regarding Premiums for Income Support.

You can get the basic disability premium and extra amounts on top of this.
The basic disability premium is:

£45.40 per week for a couple

Extra amounts

Extra premium Rate if you qualify Rate if you or your partner qualify
Severe disability premium £61.10 per week £122.20 per week
Enhanced disability premium £15.55 per week £22.35 per week

As I have said, Everyone should get a Full Benefit Check for Their Own Circumstances.
That's good advice & I wish I could use it.

As I've posted before, I don't qualify for CA as I'm over retirement age & my wife doesn't qualify for AA as she's under retirement age, nor would she qualify for ESA since my private pension takes us over the limit which also means we don't qualify for council tax benefit etc.

So in effect my single person's State Pension (as I don't get any State Pension element for my wife) & my private pension are being paid straight back the Treasury.

Oh how I wish I'd had plenty of foreign holidays & brand new cars instead of scrimping by through life whilst I paid into a private pension scheme.
Ive just looked up the gov site about ESA and its a mine-field :o
https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-a ... -youll-get

There seem to be 4 different categories, all with their own rules:
There are 2 different groups - work related group and support group
There are also 2 types of ESA - contribution based ESA (if you have paid National Insurance) and income based.
You can also get both if you are on a low income!

It makes a HUGE difference which group you are in eg

In the contribution based ESA: - if you are in the work related group you will only get the benefit for a year max, but if you are in the support group you will continue to get it until retirement (unless the rules change and someone decides youre no longer eligible - sorry, thats me being cynical!)

If you are in the income based ESA the benefit is means tested, but in the contribution based ESA it is not.

There are other differences too. I think everyone who is talking about ESA needs to be very clear which group/type they talking about. My hubby is in the contribution based ESA support group (which is not means tested and my CA does not affect it) and, although I know about the difference between worked related and support groups, I was not aware that the other type of ESA was means tested. Hence my confusion - over which I hold up my hand.
Nevertheless, I do feel that we all need to be as clear as possible to save confusion.
WOW! so much info, hubby is on contribution based ESA and in support group. we get the local housing rate of housing benefit but it does not cover all of our private let rent as we have two bedrooms, flipping bedroom tax! :angry: I did apply for a discretionary housing payment until the end of tax year just gone, but still had to pay a small amount of rent, we do get all council tax benefit.
this was before OH PIP claim was awarded.
I think I better find a benefit welfare advisor to get them to do a proper benefit check.
I think everyone should get one done, as like you caravanj so many get no financial help at all, like you say it does not encourage anyone to hold on to their hard earned dosh.
crocus, yes minefield alright, i'm sure they make it difficult to understand so folks don't claim, but us carers need to stick together and get the rules changed to make it more transparent for everyone.
Petal wrote:WOW! so much info, hubby is on contribution based ESA and in support group. we get the local housing rate of housing benefit but it does not cover all of our private let rent as we have two bedrooms, flipping bedroom tax! :angry: I did apply for a discretionary housing payment until the end of tax year just gone, but still had to pay a small amount of rent, we do get all council tax benefit.
this was before OH PIP claim was awarded.
I think I better find a benefit welfare advisor to get them to do a proper benefit check.
I think everyone should get one done, as like you caravanj so many get no financial help at all, like you say it does not encourage anyone to hold on to their hard earned dosh.
crocus, yes minefield alright, i'm sure they make it difficult to understand so folks don't claim, but us carers need to stick together and get the rules changed to make it more transparent for everyone.
Hello Petal,

I read somewhere, possibly on the Benefits & Work website, that the DWP do indeed try to encourage people to claim CA so an independent benefit assessment would be a good move for you.
yes caravanj think it may be Benefit & work site, I am a member there too. think i will get in touch with local welfare disability rights group that do benefit checks.
One other thing to add to the mix - if you claim Carers Allowance then you get NI payments made towards your state pension. I dont know what happens with other schemes.
Hi Petal
If OH is claiming Contribution Based ESA he will not be getting the premiums, enhanced and severe disability plus carers premium. If his claim is for you both then carers allowance will be deducted from your benefit award. OH needs (my suggestion ONLY) to re-claim for income related ESA as a SOLE claim, then because of his PIP award he will be entitled to the premiums above, you can claim carers allowance as this would act like a wage for you, for which you will receive carers NI credits. this would also allow you (circumstances permitting) to earn up to £105 per week without any loss of benefit. Discretionary Housing is just that, DISCRETIONARY, they can not however take into account PIP award when calculating your entitlement.
PM me if you want petal
Hope this helps
Madfloyd