[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Memantine for Mum? - Carers UK Forum

Memantine for Mum?

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
My Mum is 91, lives with me and my husband for the past 18 months, and has Alzeimers. Physically she is amazing, we walk for 20-30 minutes most days but mentally she is deteriorating quite quickly.
It has been suggested that she takes memantine, otherwise we have no check ups or reviews with anyone! As she is never ill we don't need to visit the doctor apart from her flu jab!
Can anyone give me an opinion? What are the side effects like?
Anyone else I should contact?
Thank you for your help. ;)
From the Alzheimer's website
Memantine is a drug used to treat Alzheimer’s disease. Many people will know it as the brand Ebixa. It is taken as tablets or oral drops, and has some minor side-effects.

Memantine is an NMDA receptor antagonist, which means it blocks a chemical messenger called glutamate, which is released in excessive amounts in people with Alzheimer's disease, causing brain cells to be damaged further.
Lots more information on memantine here : http://patient.info/medicine/memantine- ... -nemtadine

My own Mum was on Aricept which works in a similar way. We noticed that it seemed to slow down the progress of the disease. It is usually prescribed to be taken at night time, but it can cause sleep related problems. I did some internet research and found a Canadian study that said if could be taken in the morning if the patient had sleep problems; so I checked with her Geriatric Psychiatrist first and he was quite happy for her to take it in the morning.
Luckily Mum has no sleep/wandering problems, unless she is particularly upset. My main concern is if it would affect her mobility if it made her dizzy which they say is one of the side effects. Did you find this? I am very grateful for any helpful information.
Hi Meryl
My mum who is also 91 and lives with me and my husband, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 5 years ago. She was put on the lower dose of Aricept with no noticeable side effects (her mobility is poor so I too was concerned about any dizziness, but she was fine). I. She initially showed a great improvement both in her memory and particularly her anxiety levels. There has been a slow and steady decline since then and she was put on the higher dose last year again with no noticeable side effects.
It may be worth a try, I suggest you talk it over with her GP
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, it really helps. I think it's something we need to seriously consider.