Looking after someone - information and support for carers
'Looking after someone’ is our guide for anyone caring for family or friends. The guide outlines your rights as a carer and gives an overview of the practical and financial support available.
We produce a version of the guide for each nation:
The guide includes:
- This edition includes A Carer’s Guide: an illustrated introduction to the challenges of caring, from making difficult decisions to looking after your health and wellbeing.
- Benefits: an overview of which benefits you or the person you can for may be entitled to and information about how to get a benefits check.
- Other financial help: including help with council tax, fuel costs, pensions and health costs.
- Practical help: including community care assessment, carer's assessment and direct payments.
- Technology: information about health and care technology that could make life easier for you and the person you care for.
- Your workplace: your rights at work, from flexible working and parental leave to protection from discrimination.
- Other help: how to find other help nationally and in your local community.
Get the guide
Download Carers UK Looking after someone for free.
Click the thumbnail below to view Looking after someone online.
Carers can get a free printed copy of the Carers UK Looking after someone guide by contacting the Carers UK Adviceline.
Printed copies can also be ordered in the Carers UK online shop: