Skip to Content Skip to Navigation
Member Login

Member login

No account? JOIN US

Help with benefits

Working out what benefits or tax credits you might be entitled to can feel like a battle. Having the right information and support can make a huge difference.

  • Work focused interviews / work related activity

    Sometimes carers who are in receipt of Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance (in the Work Related Activity Group) may be asked to take part in work focused interviews and undertake work related activity.

  • What is Carer's Allowance?

    Carer’s Allowance is the main benefit for carers. If you are looking after someone for 35 hours a week or more, you may be eligible.

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

    If you have a long term illness or disability – physical and/or mental – and you are aged between 16 and 64 years old then you may be entitled to Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

    If you are looking after a child with a health condition or disability who is under the age of 16 years then they may be entitled to Disability Living Allowance (DLA). This can help towards the extra costs of bringing up a disabled child.

  • Attendance Allowance

    Attendance Allowance is a state benefit that helps with the extra costs of long-term illness or disability, which can be either physical and/or mental. It is for people aged 65 and over.

  • Benefits for carers who are working age

    If you are a carer of working age, there may be benefits you can claim in addition to (or instead of) Carer's Allowance.

  • Benefits for carers who are pension age

    Most carers who are pension age will be receiving a State Pension. There might be other benefits you can claim as a carer who is pension age.

  • Benefit cap

    The benefit cap limits the total amount of benefit that can be paid to a non-working household

  • Housing Benefit

    If you are on a low income and living in rented accommodation, Housing Benefit can help with your rent.

  • Bedroom Tax

    The Housing Benefit Size Criteria Rules have been in place since April 2013, and are commonly referred to as the ‘bedroom tax‘, or the 'spare room subsidy' as named by the government.

  • Challenging a benefit decision

    If the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) (England, Wales & Scotland) or the Department for Communities (DfC) (Northern Ireland) make a decision about your benefits that you do not agree with you can challenge this decision.

  • Universal Credit

    Universal Credit (UC) is a means-tested benefit that is being gradually introduced.

  • Tax Credits and Child Benefit

    If you are a carer who is in work and/or who has dependent children you might be entitled to claim Tax Credits and Child Benefit.

Join us

Hands join us

Together we're a supportive community and a movement for change.

How you can help

Carer and son

With your help we can reach more carers with timely support and advice.



We will keep campaigning until every carer gets proper recognition and support.

Talk to us

Phone footer

Caring can be complicated. We're here for you with help and advice.

Back to top string(10) "help_topic"