Extenuating circumstance support for student carers?

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hello there, I'm new to the forum specifically for this issue, so apologies if there is a certain area to put it in I've missed.

Nevertheless, I'm a carer and I have been for a long time, long enough to complete a Ba through the Open University. Unfortunately, now I've moved on to an Ma the problems are only getting worse, and they are effecting my results. I am going to need to apply for extenuating circumstances for this year, I'm just not sure how to go about it. Luckily I've managed to keep mum out of hospital apart from one occasion this , but there has been a lot more need for home care and home visits since she is no longer able to leave the house, my question is does anyone know the best way to proceed with getting evidence for extenuating circumstances? When there is a hospital visit, or a definite medical operation it is easy, but what do you do when there is just a considerable degradation of health? I don't think you can ask the doctor for a report, as that would breach confidentiality.

Anyway, I've now missed one of my essays due to the problems, I've calculated that I can still pass without it, but obviously any way of helping with this would be appreciated, so if you could offer any advice please do.

Thanks
Hi Martin ... a quickie as kick off for the second half is seconds away.

Open University ... guide for carers ... 24 pages in .pdf format :

http://www.waterloofoundation.org.uk/Fi ... u-care.pdf

Others will be along to extend their welcomes and thoughts.

Claiming CA ?

21 Hour Rule ?
Hi Martin,
Sorry, I can't answer your question, however if you are to have any future, which you deserve after studying so hard in difficult circumstances, you need to take a long hard look at your caring situation and get mum some extra care.
How old is she? Nature of her disability? When did she last have a Needs Assessment from Social Services, and you, a Carers Assessment?
Does she have over £23,000 in savings (Yes/No)
It's crucial you don't jeopardise your studies. Do you feel that, given more time, you can meet the course requirements? ie, now that your mum needs more of your time, you have less for your studies, but if the deadlines for essays and so on were extended, could you still get them all done (eg, instead of completing by September, you could if you were given say to the end of the year)

Or do you think it's going to become impossible to do ANY studies now?

If the latter, then you should ask for a pause in your degree course, to resume it 'later'.

The 'later', alas, means taking a deep breath and really assessing whether you can go on being your mum's carer any longer, as BB is questioning. Sadly, your mum is never going to 'get better' is she?

Unis these days, especially the OU one would assume!, are much better about taking difficult personal circumstances into account. There ought to be some slack cut for you.

Home studying is one of the few things that full-time carers can do, even if only in tiny 'dribs and drabs'. It can keep them sane as well, Plus, of course, prepare them for the 'one day' when their caring days are over.

How supportive of your studies is your mum? I do hope she is urging you on with them.