[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
v.g. enjoyment for v. terminally ill and frail - Carers UK Forum

v.g. enjoyment for v. terminally ill and frail

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
GET A PROFESSIONAL TO GIVE AN AROMATHERAPY MASSAGE, TO YOUR CARED FOR PERSON. THIS WILL GIVE YOU A BREAK.
At a Carers meeting I went to, one lady took aromatherapy oils when she visited a relative with Alzheimers, and massaged her hands and arms. The touch helped them both, and the lady always used oils that were familiar to the older lady, so the sense of smell transported her to happier times for a little while.

I think it is a lovely idea for terminally ill people, as the pain and nausea they may be feeling due to medication will surely be eased by human touch and caring hands.
GET A PROFESSIONAL TO GIVE AN AROMATHERAPY MASSAGE, TO YOUR CARED FOR PERSON. THIS WILL GIVE YOU A BREAK.
I tried aromatherapy massage once - the rosemary-based oils brought me out in a rash (this is not a joke, honest!)

The best therapy is ....

A fine single malt whisky .... grandma was right.
Aromatherapy massage (at its best) can be v comforting (as well as uplifting, stimulating, relaxing or soothing, depending on the oils used), but you do need to be aware of allergies and to be careful what you use.

The person using the oil needs to allow for people who are ill (or who are currently well, but have damaged liver or kidneys) needing far more dilute blends - eg half the usual strength as well as avoiding some of the more irritant or stimulant oils. You also need to use a more dilute blend if the person is having the oils on more of their body (eg all over instead of just hands), if they have aromatic baths/showers, or if they use essential oils more than once in the same day.

From what I remember, rosemary essential oil isn't one of the worst irritants (unlike lemon, orange, grapefruit, and lemongrass), but it is v stimulating and might not have been diluted enough (a maximum of 10 drops essential oil to 10ml of base oil) or it might have been applied to skin which was already sensitive or irritated. There are also several which you're not supposed to use in pregnancy, a couple whch cause photosensitivity (ie sunburn even in winter), some can cause headaches, a few can trigger quite vivid hallucination, and one can trigger epiliptic seizures.

Seriously, either pay for somebody properly trained or at least get a couple of reference books and only use decent quality stuff. Lavender is safe for most people. Image
I tried aromatherapy massage once - the rosemary-based oils brought me out in a rash (this is not a joke, honest!)
Are you telling us you're allergic to... Image Image ...Rosemary?? Image
ooooo excalabur allergic to rosemary--- tut tut wot will she say.

i got in to arometherpy when amy was tiny and she loves a massage, good part of physio, she smells nice and has wonderful skin! helps simulate the nerves, but hell to get off of the bed sheets!

the smells also make me relax as well, and when matts been ill ive done his back for him.

i think every one should have to have lavender oil as a rule, its great for everything