[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Using a Blue Badge - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Using a Blue Badge

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
If my memory serves me correctly, there's a time limit on the use of Blue Badges as well - 3 hours?
They are for the benefit of the disabled person when that person uses a car (as driver or passenger). So, if I took my dad to hospital, I'd park in a disabled bay and use his badge. If I visited him in hospital, I parked in a normal bay and paid, even though his badge was in my car.
There is no time limit in scotland. The only time we ever had to use the clock thingy was when we were on holiday in England. Also our situation is such that we have two blue badges - one for me in my own right as a disabled personand one for my son. The funny thing is although Rob is the more severely disabled between the two of us he doesn't need a close parking space as much as I do because Rob has his powered wheelchair. We are looking into seeing if we can buy a folding powered wheelchair for me as I finding my mobility scooter is really hurting me since I fractured the 4 vertebrae.

Eun
Jenny, yes, if David was to have his partner as the registered keeper, at her address, then that might be a solution. But, as you say, there is then the problem of insurance, and indeed road tax. As registered keeper, his partner would need to insure and tax the vehicle in her name, give him permission to use it, and he'd have to have, at the very least, third party insurance, to use a vehicle not registered in his name (ownership is irrelevant in this instance).

It becomes even more complicated, and indeed expensive, if he needs the vehicle for work, apart from travelling to and from his work place. There really is no simple solution.

I doubt any insurance company would offer a cheaper joint policy, when the two policy holders are living at two seperate addresses. Applying for such a policy may invite some serious questions from the insurance company, which could result in even higher premiums, or, in the worst case scenario, a refusal (not good in the insurance world), and a report shared with other insurers, advising them to avoid the two applicants, and the possibilty that any future applications may be tagged as attempted insurance fraud.

In all honesty, it's probably best to accept the situation as it is, rather than trying to buck an already well battened down system.
Here, everything depends on where you are, because as a rule, the blue badge is for the disabled person, not for the car. But I think in some cases it can be negotiated ...
Yes Jade - the badge is for the disabled person, but it can be used in any car in which they are travelling either as a passenger or as the driver (i.e. they don't have to be the driver and the don't have to even own a car.)