[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Does anyone use a walking stick? - Carers UK Forum

Does anyone use a walking stick?

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
I'm thinking of getting my son a walking stick of some sort as he leans on my arm when he walks and it's playing havoc with my back. He's not happy about the idea (he says he's not an elderly!) but I'm not happy with my back hurting all the time so I think it needs to be tried!

I've seen ones that have four feet at the bottom that look to me a bit more stable and supportive than just a stick would be. They're quite cheap so it's not the end of the world if we buy one and he doesn't get on with it but I just wondered if anyone uses them and if they do help?
Hi
To be of use the stick should be the correct height, from wrist bone to floor when arms hanging naturally at side and normal shoes on) and used on the opposite side to the weakness. When I was recovering from the op on my right hip I had to use the stick in my left hand.
The ones with more than one foot are more stable, especially in wet or icy conditions and if being leant on heavily. You can get sticks in all sorts of colours and get badges to stick on them. Fancy or unusual handles too, plus folding sticks.
x
E.
I use a standard walking stick occasionally when my back (sciatica) is playing up and it does help - only trouble is it's no good if I'm out shopping and it's raining then I need 3 hands; 1 for the shopping, 1 for the stick and 1 for an umbrella :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(as Elaine says it does need to be the right height, so as your son is still a growing lad I'd suggest one that is height adjustable so that you don't have to keep buying new ones as he gets taller !)
Have you asked for an OT assessment? Then the OT could explain the height issues etc. I used to use one when my knees were bad. A perishing nuisance most of the time, but I couldn't manage without it. Try to cross the road without it, slowly, and you get beeped at by impatient drivers. Very different with a stick. How about a folding one he could use/not use depending on how he felt?
I had a walking stick before and after my hip operations and knee injury. I never took to it and preferred elbow crutch(es.)

I would definitely get him assessed by an OT or physio, his body is still growing and they will be able to advise on the most suitable aid and adjust it for him. Also, if there is an underlying reason why he feels the need to lean on you, then that needs addressing too. Having an aid could end up masking the problem.

Melly1
Elaine wrote:Hi
To be of use the stick should be the correct height, from wrist bone to floor when arms hanging naturally at side and normal shoes on) and used on the opposite side to the weakness. When I was recovering from the op on my right hip I had to use the stick in my left hand.
The ones with more than one foot are more stable, especially in wet or icy conditions and if being leant on heavily. You can get sticks in all sorts of colours and get badges to stick on them. Fancy or unusual handles too, plus folding sticks.
x
E.
Thanks, Elaine, there's a mobility shop near us so I think I might pop in and see if they've got any we could try out, the ones with extra feet did look more stable (although knowing my boy he'll probably try and put wheels on them :) ).
susieq wrote:I use a standard walking stick occasionally when my back (sciatica) is playing up and it does help - only trouble is it's no good if I'm out shopping and it's raining then I need 3 hands; 1 for the shopping, 1 for the stick and 1 for an umbrella :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(as Elaine says it does need to be the right height, so as your son is still a growing lad I'd suggest one that is height adjustable so that you don't have to keep buying new ones as he gets taller !)
Someone at sailing has an umbrella hat, Susie, so that might be the answer for you ;) I know what you mean, I never have enough hands and if I'm trying to manage my handbag, a couple of bags of shopping and my son it feels like some sort of test like the ones they used to do on The Krypton Factor :)
bowlingbun wrote:Have you asked for an OT assessment? Then the OT could explain the height issues etc. I used to use one when my knees were bad. A perishing nuisance most of the time, but I couldn't manage without it. Try to cross the road without it, slowly, and you get beeped at by impatient drivers. Very different with a stick. How about a folding one he could use/not use depending on how he felt?
Yes he wouldn't need it all the time, it's just to stop him leaning on me so much. I dread to think of the palavar I'd have to go through to get an OT assessment; we're still waiting for his physio appointment that was requested in 2014 :) They're quite cheap, I'll just buy one and see how he gets on.
Plastic rain bonnets are coming back in! I got one for my camera bag but haven't used it yet.
Melly1 wrote:I had a walking stick before and after my hip operations and knee injury. I never took to it and preferred elbow crutch(es.)

I would definitely get him assessed by an OT or physio, his body is still growing and they will be able to advise on the most suitable aid and adjust it for him. Also, if there is an underlying reason why he feels the need to lean on you, then that needs addressing too. Having an aid could end up masking the problem.

Melly1
He's weaker down one side of his body so leans to compensate for that; it wasn't such a problem when he was younger but he's bigger than me now so I want him to lean on something else! :)