[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Praise for National Trust! :) - Carers UK Forum

Praise for National Trust! :)

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Just wanted to praise the National Trust. I took MIL to visit an NT property y/day, and when we arrived the main carpark was miles away. I said we didn't have a blue badge (haven't got around to applying yet), but we had a wheelchair in the boot. The lady at the gate very kindly said we could go up to the house and park in a disabled space, even without a blue badge. Made everything a lot easier, so thank you NT!

PS - pushing a wheelchair up a sloping, gravel-covered drive ain't easy! Never mind, it helped work off the cream team I was too greedy to resist in the tea-shoppe!
Ah, that sounds great Jenny! Thank goodness they were able to apply some common sense - it can be in short supply at times.

It's good that you can enjoy some quality time with your MIL now that the pressure of caring long distance/at "Jenny's Hotel" has been relieved.

Struggling with the wheelchair - I know that feeling. It's not just pushing it, either. We have a collapsible one we use sometimes for Mum or Dad, but I have terrible problems getting the thing to collapse down, and loading it into the boot of the car. Last time I really hurt my back - it's just such an awkward lumpy thing to deal with. Mum's legs are fine, she just doesn't like using them, but Dad really struggles to walk, so maybe I'll try to find a lightweight folding wheelchair (if there is such a thing) for him.