[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Stroke Recovery and Rehabilitation - Carers UK Forum

Stroke Recovery and Rehabilitation

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hi there, my name is Denise, my husband, Peter suffered a stroke 1 year ago. We have received limited help with regard to physiotherapy, as a result my husband is still totally reliant on me for his personal care,does anyone have any advice on how I can help him achieve some independence in this area?
Many thanks
Denise
Hi Denise.

Your husband needs a needs assessment and you a Carer's assessment, you will need to contact social services and state that you ans and your husband need this as both of you are struggling.
Your assessment will be done after his and should be done privately.
You need to list all that you do for him.

The social worker may suggest a physiotherapist or occupational therapist to come in regular to build up your husband's skills.

It would also be a good idea for you to have regular breaks from Car's coming in to do some if the caring that you do.

Your husbands needs may increase so it's a good idea for him to get used to someone else helping him besides you.

Take care

Christina
It depends on what is affected by his stroke. My mum has been out of hospital a month and only had a physio session today and it will only be one a week. It was better when she was in hospital doing it every day. Do you have a social worker or care team involved at all?
Hello
We had support from the early discharge stroke team, half an hour a week, they then sadly had to discharge us. So we went and joined the Nuffield gym, they are amazing and have progressed him more in 8 weeks than the NHS support in 8 months!! Well worth checking out. However it is things like buttons on trousers, sorting out personal care using only one hand etc. Our situation is only temporary but after 12 months, with little expert support, we need to find useful tips to recover independence. Hope your mum ets the help she needs.
Denise
Denise_16051 wrote:However it is things like buttons on trousers, sorting out personal care using only one hand etc. Our situation is only temporary but after 12 months, with little expert support, we need to find useful tips to recover independence.
Denise
Hi Denise, thus is definitely the realm of an OT, the social worker or GP should be able to make a referral for you. In some areas it also possible toself refer ( I was able to refer S, myself, though this was for a different area of OT expertise.)

That's great re the gym, how often did your hubby go?

Melly1
Hi
He has 3 sessions a week with a personal trainer, they have planned his sessions to work on his walking and have now started work on his arm, he also goes in the pool once a week, its made such a difference!