[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sock putter-onner (!) - Carers UK Forum

Sock putter-onner (!)

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
I have no idea what these things are called - they are to help someone putting on their own socks, if they have difficulty reaching. My father has tried one he was given, a simple shaped sheet of plastic which is supposed to hold the sock open, with tapes to pull it up, but the sock slipped off again before it was far enough up for him to pull the top of the sock up.

Has anyone discovered an implement like this that works? And what are they called, so I can do an internet search, please?
My Dad has found the "Soxon sock aid" more or less works. It can be purchased from:
http://www.benefitsnowshop.co.uk/shop/s ... 0&area=585

You could also try covering the plastic one with some terry towelling to give it more grip.

Hope this helps.

Allison
I think you're describing "stocking pullers" or something like that - they aren't really designed for socks although they do help as long as you get the technique right: try using socks that are not elasticated at the top - they seem to go on better for getting past the heel (which is where I think you're hitting the problem) - the terry towelling idea is interesting, too. Might have a look at doing that...
try the occupation therepist, i know up here in scotland they can provide a sock helper, and it is given free of charge.

myra
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Allison - that sock aid looks like it might suit. If I do not get a response from the OT soon, we shall have to buy one.

Myra - I was told the OTs are 'very busy' and it could take a while. [Cue phone calls every week from me to SS!]

For anyone else needing to look on the web, 'sock aid' brings up lots of firms offering what appear to be the same 10 or 12 devices. Most of them work on the principle of a flexible thing to go into the sock, with tapes to pull it up, but there are others, like the one Allison reccommended.