Social Services Concerned - Pressure Sores?

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hope somebody knows where this is heading. I am going to be with my dad tomorrow for a social services visit. It seems that the District Nurse has contacted them because she has noticed pressure sores in my father's groin area. I am presuming that they are concerned because the care company should not have let this happen?

Does anybody know what the likely next steps are and whether my father or I should be worried or pleased at SS involvement?

In my job I have an overview of child safeguarding but am much less knowledgeable when it comes to adult care although I have more practical experience as I have care responsibilities for my father.
I think it is good that the District Nurse has decided to refer this to Social Services, and there are extra personnel becoming involved on your case. I would not, at this stage, assume that anyone is blameworthy. People under care constantly have new ailments spring up.

Let the meeting take its course and await the outcome. I expect that, if the care company needs to be advised that extra care is required for these sores, then Social Services will pass on that advice, and of course copy you in.

Do keep in touch and let us know how this develops.
My mum ultimately died due to a pressure sore, they need to be avoided at all costs. If you look at the NHS website, there is lots of interesting information, maybe print it off?

However, the real reason she developed a pressure sore was the fact that she had a poor diet, and she had a poor diet because she had a problem with her back that meant she was permanently bent double, and that gave her a squashed stomach and a hiatus hernia. The tissue viability nurse (TVN) "prescribed" lots of meat and protein, which mum just couldn't eat, so the sore couldn't heal, and the inevitable infection was resistant to all antibiotics.

I'm telling you all this to help you understand that it can actually be a very complex issue, not simple at all. In the very elderly, mum was 87, it was really a matter of living too long.
How old is dad. Has he been seen by a TVN? Is he fairly immobile?
Thanks both, my dad is 82 and is very frail, he's gone downhill over the last month. I've mixed views on Social Services, on one hand I'm pleased they have been alerted on the other am concerned about what they may advise.

You could be right on diet, he's clearly not eating enough and seems to have given up in recent weeks, although he's been very reliant on others for about 3 years now. He doesn't do a great deal and sits in a chair all day apart from when he goes to the communal lounge to eat. Excuse my ignorance - what's a TVN?

Will play it by ear tomorrow and post up the outcome, I guess they might recommend a different care regime and contact the care company but let's see.
TVN - Tissue Viability Nurse.
If dad isn't eating very much, then maybe it's time to google "Signs of dying"? You will find some very good articles which explain how, when the body isn't working very well, it automatically knows how much food or drink it can cope with. It is therefore wrong to try and get someone to eat if they don't want to.
I am NOT saying that dad is about to die, but it's the only place I know how it explains how the body copes when it's not feeling vey good.
Interesting but worrying meeting with the social worker on Friday. The social worker was really good with my dad and I and was very down to earth, which I found refreshing. It seems that my dad had told the care about about the sores but when they did nothing he spoke to the on-site support people who called the District Nurse evidently the District Nurse was horrified hence Social Service concern.

A number of other issues were discovered:
  • Unclear if carers were regularly attending as they should, lack of evidence of visits or arrival at inconsistent times.
  • A carer who refused to come into my dad's room because she was frightened of him (the social worker was horrified).
  • Incorrect time of departure logged on the day of the social worker visit - the social worker and I arrived at 9:30 on the dot when my dad was finishing breakfast. The carer booked out at 9:30 at which point he would have been long gone.
  • No carer arrived on Saturday evening - my sister happened to be there and sorted with the local staff. I spoke with the care company and told them that in the circumstances the timing of the issue was awful and they were doing themselves no favours.
My dad was reluctant to take further (he may have been told to say nothing by the carer) but was persuaded that he should as lessons needed to be learned and the same may happen to others. The social worker left planning to book an appointment to see the carer company managers to discuss the sore issue and the erratic attendances and possible no shows.

Tying things together (see my other post) my dad has a huge care fee credit because the company are not evidencing visits properly, the reality is that the may well not be turning up more than we know.

On this occasion, credit where its due, Social Services were brilliant.
Hi John
Do I gather that Dad is in sheltered housing? Is he self funding for care or are Social services paying? I ask because it makes as difference what may happen next.
It's good Dad told the care people then the on site people, many oldies "don't want to be a bother" so well done Dad

Sort of, he's in council supported living accommodation, there are carers on site but his are is provided by an external company. He was on a waiting list for internal care at one point but preferred male carers initially and never switched.

Dad is self funding but this doesn't seem to make a difference. I spoke with the social worker about previous concerns regarding notification of the cost of increased care. His response was that social workers wouldn't associate cost with care requirements as they wouldn't know way way or another how care was funded.

I deal with the council finance people who keep track of cost, they have a much more rounded view of things and seem to do a good job of ensuring that dad only pays what's due. Early on dad was being ripped off by a carer who was borrowing money (for keeps!) and buying shopping and keeping substantial change. I spoke with the finance people about social services involvement today and they advised that I add this issue to the list even though it happened a while ago and dad didn't want to make a fuss, he liked the carer notwithstanding the issue.
All seems so obvious now, the post script to this episode is that my dad has been diagnosed with diabetes. Piecing everything together it makes sense but one doesn't know what one doesn't know.