[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Social Services - Carers UK Forum

Social Services

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
My husband is caring for his elderly mother. She has lung cancer which cannot be treated. In recent months the level of care she's needed has increased dramatically and although I teamed up (as best I could - I work part time and help him where I can unofficially) with my husband to help him out, we were not recieveing any help or information from any health care professional (including social services despite having been contacted by the doctor some time ago to see if my husband might be entitled to some additional nursing help). The district nurse did come to the house once to take a blood test to check the dose of a stroke medication called warfarin she needs but she gave us no advice and we never heard back. Feeling worried and slightly overwhelmed my husband contacted the GP again. This time the GP called Social services and sent a doctor to my mother in law's house. She was hospitalised. only NOW do we hear from social services. It's a muddle. Anyway, long story short... can any one offer advice about dealing with social services? What have been your experiences?
Hi again Sharms,

Please take a look at these links...


especially this one http://www.carersuk.org/Information/Hel ... ofhospital

Also CUK have a helpline you can contact ...

CarersLine can offer advice on any issue to do with caring and disability such as benefits, hospital discharge, employment issues, making a complaint, getting a social services assessment and much more.

The service is free. Unfortunately the service is currently only open for 2 days a week. However we do have an answerphone service if you leave details an advisor will call you back.

Telephone 0808 808 7777

Open Wednesday and Thursday 10am-12pm and 2pm-4pm

Whereabouts in the Northwest are you Sharms as we may be able to see if a local carers centre close to you too?


Persist! Insist and don't give in ...phone every day several times a day if needed until somebody lsitens to you. Record times of calls and who you spoke to and why. Ask to speak to the Manager for the Social Services Dept. Put it in all in writing to this Manager too.

No help? Well the next step is the Commission for Social Care Inspection website


and state the facts of the case to them and let us see what happens next!

State the facts and say why you are not happy and what is needed. They have got to repsond!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks for those links and the telephone number Rosemary, I’ve written them down and I think they’ll be very useful. We live in Blackburn.

Chmaja, thanks that is really useful. I’m beginning to see that it must be a case of ‘the squeaky wheel gets the oil’.
Not sure if this centre is close to you Sharms but keep them in mind in case you need some more advice.

Blackburn with Darwen Carers Service
Oakenhurst Road

Tel: 01254 688440
Fax: 01254 688441
Email: office@carers.bwdcvs.org

http://www.themartlets.org.uk/what_we_do/ hope this help hun just found the site to who could help ya more
Why not try Age Concer n they seem to be more understanding and maybe point you in the right directtion
I really feel for you.. I ended in quite a fix when I took my father out of a hospital he was meant to be recuperating in. I notified them when I was taking him home and then services kicked in. What you have to decide is what you want. Obvously with your mother-in-laws condition you'll have to decide 'between you all' what happens after hospital. I was 'told' that my father would have to go into residential care but that's not what we wanted, so you've got to be firm. Only when I 'told' them that I'd be taking him home did we get into the Home Care loop. There seems to be a trigger to support services from a hospital discharge (well in Glasgow anyway) I have a great social worker who really helps when we have problems but even so you do have to do a fair bit of polite checking up. Please remember to look after yourselves.
If you need support from social services you need to phone them, dont wait for someone else to do it, doctors tend to dictate a letter which then gets sent a week later and doesnt have any info, social services will need to know details about what the problem is, medical info and what you want etc. never leave it up to someone else to phone on your behalf, the doctor and nurses see so many people each day its just not going to get done quick enough for you.

while in hospital, speak to the ward sister, ask them to record in the patient file that a referral to social work is needed, and services are needed before discharge cuold even be considered. also, if the cancer is untreatable, please ask for a continuing health care assessment, its done quicker in hospital than if you're in the community and care would not be chargeable where it is under social serivces.

anyway, ssd should have a sw in the hospital, or one that visits. request assessments for support, and refuse to have a discharge date until care arrangements have been put in place.