[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Snails in the house - any tips - Carers UK Forum

Snails in the house - any tips

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Over the last 2 weeks I have come downstairs and found 3 snail type things on floor in dining room. 1st one I put down to possibly being carried in off shoes but not 3. Spoke to a neighbour last night and she has had the same. Shes had 2 in the last week. I dont know if its connected to all the damp caused after the freezing weather we had but does anyone here know what to do.

I have looked it up on the internet and seems like its a fairly common problem and someone advised mopping round edges of room with a salt solution. Only thing is we have laminated flooring and I dont know if salt would damage it.

Any advice please?
Follow their trails to see where they are getting in and salt that area only? If they are getting into a tight area it's probably slugs and a little salt in the cracks might do the job rather than dousing the whole floor area?
Thanks Charles. Will try find out.
You might find it easier just to put the salt granules on the floor without diluting it in water. That way, you know it will not damage the flooring and the bulk of it is easy enough to brush up before you mop the area.

It won't prevent them coming in but it will kill the blighters
If you don't want to use salt and don't mind a bit of mess round where they are coming in for a day or so, try putting crushed egg shells instead.
If you don't want to use salt and don't mind a bit of mess round where they are coming in for a day or so, try putting crushed egg shells instead.
I am curious Jean, what effect does that have on them>
They can't crawl on crushed egg shells, it hurts their skin(or whatever snails have)!It works in the garden round the base of plants too.
You learn something new every day. Thanks ladies Image
They can't crawl on crushed egg shells, it hurts their skin(or whatever snails have)!It works in the garden round the base of plants too.
Spot on Image
................garlic butter?

Ha ha ha

Seriously the egg shells should work.

Take care
Meg