road safety for lone female drivers

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Does anyone have any advice for single women drivers who are intimidated?Not a caring issue I know, but I am sure someone here will have good advice for me.

My daughter has to cross a bridge twice daily, on her way to and from work. It is single lane traffic only, with one direction supposed to give way to the other.It is well signposted and the road well marked out. My daughter has several times found herself having to pull right over to the left, by traffic forcing her to, as they have not given way. Several times, this has happened, and she hasn't been too bad, as there have been other cars in front and behind her, but on Friday just gone, a small lorry forced her to move, and she was very frightened. There was no other traffic on the road, and the bridge is on the edge of a village, so not many people around.

Should she phone 999, if it happens again, as it will be dark when she is travelling to and from work soon, or should she try and get a registration number?My immediate concern is the safety of my daughter.(She does drive with her car doors locked).
I am sure others will have some advice for you,I can only tell you what happened to me.
I once took a job 10pm till 2am to fit round my caring role.As you can imagine ,travelling even short distances at that time in the small hours was a bit risky.I had a really old bridge to go through,very short in length and dark but like your daughters, it was single lane with me having right of way when going home.Did not always happen like that though especially with taxi drivers Image .After the 1st time I was forced to reverse, I started just to let any oncoming traffic come through before me.Like your daughter my doors were always locked and my phone fully charged at all times.

Is there anyone else from work lives near her,if so maybe they could share.Not only will it help with the safety issue but cut down on fuel costs too if shared.
thanks Rosemary.I hadn't even considered the mobile phone being charged. I will check that with her each day, as she can borrow mine if she has any problems.
Hello lazydaisy,

Until 12 months ago I had worked away from home for ten years - Manchester, Scotland, Hull, Sheffield, etc, and travelled alone weekly to these places where I had "digs" for the week.

My over-riding aim was and is my own safety and whatever the "rules of the road" are, I make myself mentally prepared to give way to oncoming traffic - who cares who is "in the right" when one's safety is concerned? I also kept my doors locked (and I still have a hammer made for the purpose under my seat in case of emergency as the windows are electric) and my mobile phone in my pocket (not on the passenger seat or "tray" as, if I had to make an emergency stop it would slide into the footwell - no use scrabbling about in an emergency, if it's in my pocket I can get it, when I have no pocket, it's slipped between my legs on MY seat, again where I can get it).

One's position on the road can also help in these situations, I am also a rider on two wheels (a scooter not a motorcycle). A position of confidence - middle of the lane and not appearing to hesitate can help, though again with a "plan" to give way if necessary.

For my part, I would say that your daughter would be much better to forget about calling the police if the issue is one of the other driver(s) ignoring right of way. Much more important for her to keep her head, pull over to avoid collision, and as soon as the offending vehicle has passed, carry on to a place of safety (work, home). Her car, whilst in motion, is a safe place. If she stops to telephone it becomes a less safe place simply because it is stationary. If she tries to telephone while in motion, and whilst upset, bad things are more likely to happen.

I hope this helps. I'm thinking your daughter may be a relatively new driver? As she drives more her confidence will grow and with that she will begin to see that these roadhog drivers who are ignoring the rules of the road and just that, ignorant, and it is better simply to allow them to hurry on out of her way!!! She will also meet large numbers of kind, thoughtful drivers who will also help to increase her confidence and understanding of propelling two tonnes of metal across Britain.

Tell her one thing for me? "Think Bike!" If I meet her at that bridge, either in my car or on my Vespa, I'll give way!
Thank you. I will get my daughter to read this when she gets home later. Yes, she is a very new driver, been driving about six months. Until a couple of weeks ago, when it happened to me on the same bridge, I thought it was her inexperience. That was the first time in 20 years of driving that I had seen anyone abuse this particular "Give Way". There is no public transport for her to get to work, and the only colleague who came from the same town was hit by a car on the same road,(but not the bridge), a couple of weeks ago, and been off with injuries, since.

I see, and can fully understand your daughter's (perhaps) heightened unease in this situation because another person has been injured from your village recently.

As I see it, it's not her relative inexperience which is causing this bad behaviour in other drivers, they would probably do it to anyone, but because of her relative inexperience she's being more upset by it because she's still in the "thinking" stage of driving. You and I, old hands, are in the automatic response stage so we probably shake a mental fist at the idiots and carry on, whereas your daughter is mentally checking her manoeuvre to see if she "did it right", which of course she did!!!

I say this because I passed my motorcycle test just in April and I'm still in the "thinking" stage when on two wheels - in my car I can plan a menu, listen to music and drive safely but on two wheels I'm constantly double-checking what I'm doing and making mental notes for the next time I'm in the same situation, 100% concentration - and just two weeks ago when on a scoot to the Lakes alone, a driver pulled across my lane, nearly knocking me over into a filter lane to my left. I was shocked, scared and my, was the adrenalin pumping! In my car I would simply have slowed to allow her to come across or pipped my horn if I couldn't get out of the way. On the scoot it was a terrified scrabble to use the brake safely, veer (but not too much) and think "where the heck is my horn?"!

Within a further six months, your daughter will have all the responses on "auto pilot" which will allow her to concentrate on early safety actions when she meets an idiot of the road!!!!

L Image (just put that one on because it's most like a road sign!!!) Image
Thanks for the advice. My daughter has read them, and now feels more comfortable using the bridge. She just gives way at eiher end, until she can see that it is safe. I left it for a couple of days, to see how she got on while driving to work. Image