[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Problems with wheelchairs - Carers UK Forum

Problems with wheelchairs

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hello,
I am looking for some advice on wheelchairs. My hubby has recently become a double leg amputee so his wheelchairs had to be changed for better balance to ones with the rear self propelling wheels further back. The new wheelchairs are slightly heavier than previous ones (I have to lift one in and out of car when we go out) so lightweight as possible would be good. Also the arms on his new ones have to be taken off completely when he does his transfers this is okay but hubby has no where to put the arm, so that means I have to be on hand to take it from him, and hand it back to him when he swaps to transfer again' i.e from sofa to wheelchair, from wheelchair to stairlift, which is not keeping him as independent as possible The other frightening thing is that when he transfers from stairlift to wheelchair at top of stairs because of the way he has to have the wheelchair positioned the small wheels at the front are perilously close to the top step on our stairs. The OT did come out to assess him and did not pick up on this but not sure if it is hubby who is having to position the wheelchair differently now he has been at home for a dew days. Another OT is going to contact us to see what can be done, has to be a different OT as hubby is now out of hospital (gosh its a farse sometimes). But if anyone can give me some help prior to the visit I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance Elsa
Hi Elsa,

Have you thought about a 'transfer' chair for use in indoors ? I don't even know if they would be suitable for your husband to use, but they are smaller and lighter than the ones used outdoors and most of them don't have arms. If you have a mobility shop near you they should have them in stock - perhaps you could go and have a look to see if they might be suitable ?
Hi susieq,
Thank you for your reply. I have Googled Transfer Wheelchair and checked them out, but I don't think this type would be any good for hubby as I cannot find one which is self propelling. This would mean I would have to be on hand each time he wanted to move from one place to another. Not that I would mind but it would take away what little independence he has. Also not sure about balance with him having no legs.
But I am going to keep it in mind for when the OT comes and mention it to them. Thanks for your suggestion.
Elsa
Hiya. Sorry to hear about those probs with the wheelchair. I know some manual self propelling wheelchairs have arms that can be flipped up. Maybe the OT can suggest something which can be fitted to the existing chair to keep the arms attached in some way to the chair when they're not actually in position.

Re the transfer near the stair situation ... I'm at a bit of a loss. It's ashame that the stairlift isn't set a bit forward.

Hope it gets sorted.
Hello BigSister

Thanks for the advice and I will bear it in mind. The OT has asked the wheelchair providers to have a look at other wheelchairs to see if they can come up with anything better for hubby.

Unfortunately the stairlift is unable to be extended as this would mean it would encroach on the bathroom door and hubby wouldn't be able to get in there then Image

Thanks again Elsa