[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Practical tips transition to residential care - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Practical tips transition to residential care

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
I've got one of those Dymo labellers too, the non Qwerty keyboard drives me nuts! So much so that I'm thinking of getting another one. If anyone is thinking of getting one, and they're used to typing, I'd really recommend a Qwerty keyboard model.
Another item for the list. . I have been unsure whether to mention it but ...looks like I am.

SO deep breath... This isn't about losing socks.

If your caree has not got full capacity you may be asked to be involved in decision making concerning DNR and end of life care.
best to be prepared. Not a subject that is easy.

The only way I deal with it (regular reviews on this) is to first attempt to consider what my caree would decide if he had full capacity. I am fairly confident I know the answer.

I also believe that the medics share this responsibility with me which sort of takes away part of the responsibility.
And I know that CPR for elderly sick frail is usually unsuccessful or can result in broken ribs, pneumonia etc and possibly a more painful lingering passing.
So please take professional advice maybe Your GP if you need help with this area of care.

If your caree has full capacity...of course the decisions will rest with them and it is up to them if they wish to involve you or not, as the case may be.

I sort of apologise for bringing the subject up, and sort of don't. :?: :|
I think it is absolutely vital that couples talk about their end of life when they are fit and well. I'm so glad my husband and I did - some people thought his funeral would be very grand, steam engine pulling a trailer with the coffin on, etc. etc. but he made it very clear that he wanted a quiet modest service "when his time came". Little did we know then that he would die only a few months later at the age of 58. People said that it wasn't what they'd expected (although the crem. was packed with over 200 people) and I could explain that I'd followed his instructions exactly. My mum has just gone into nursing care. The person assessing her prior to admission covered DNR, and even asked which funeral director mum would like. Death is, after all, the one certainty in life.
(Bumping for SHewolf)

DNR is one thing, fairly straightforward. But there other aspects concerning end of life care concerning for instance what invasive diagnostic tests and treatment are desirable or appropriate. THIS is when decisions become far more complicated(and heartbreaking and ......Nuff said.

Just something else for newbies, appropriate to this topic, to be braced against.

it's about defining Best Interests. As I said before although some of us have to make these decisions on behalf of our loved ones the medics also SHARE the responsibility and the
Legal implications...depending on circumstances. And the medics can in of course override our decisions in some cases.
(I don't intend returning to this subject).
And yes, of course the home will need to the funeral director of choice, as BB pointed out...that's the easier bit.