Using a Blue Badge

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hello, I was wondering if I can get some help please.
I am a carer for my partner that was just rewarded Enhanced PIP for Daily Living and Mobility. Because of her disability I am there a lot, a lot of the time it is for days. I just got a driving licence and a car and was wondering if she gets a blue badge would I be able to park outside her house using it? I currently can not park there because I do not have a parking permit and use public transport which means my car is just sitting outside MY house and rarely gets used. I would prefer to be able to drive it to my partners house because she often needs lifts to appointments, shopping etc.
I am currently applying to get assessed as he carer and eventually applying for a carers parking permit but that will take a few months. If I could use the blue badge for now that would be really helpful for us but I do not want to get her in trouble for blue badge fraud.
The blue badge is awarded to the disabled person, not the driver of the car (unless, of course, they are one and same !). It would be illegal for you to use it if your partner was not with you in the car - you could display it in the car once you are parked outside her house, but not whilst driving to her house.

However please note that a blue badge does not give an automatic right to park anywhere; normal parking rules still apply - i.e. can't park on red lines or double yellow lines (although you are generally allowed to park for up to 3 hours on single yellow lines).

Rules can also vary according to where you live so it's probably worthwhile checking out here https://www.gov.uk/blue-badge-scheme-in ... on-council
Thank you for the reply, that is what I mean, I would only use the badge when outside her house and also when I take her to appointments and wherever else she needs to go, never by myself.
When I drove a disabled neighbour to visit her husband in hospital she put her blue badge on my dashboard, so I could park in a disabled space, while she visited her husband. It didn't seem to be a problem, so hopefully something similar won't for you. I take it your partner does not have a car of her own? (Or, if she does, it can be left parked somewhere that doesn't need a blue badge)
It's a difficult one, especially as you don't live together. The blue badge is for the person, not the vehicle. Parking your car (registered in your name, at your address), outside her house, using her blue badge, could be a problem. In that, so far as the council is concerned, the car is not hers, and it may not be intended solely for her benefit. You may well be there for a few days, but if she's not seen to be using the vehicle as essential transport, it could be perceived as misuse, and in breach of local parking regulations.

Blue badges are discretionary, the rules of which vary between authorities, and they can be taken away even more easily than they can be issued. Applying for one, can often involve negotiating a number of hurdles, and once granted, the issuing authority needs only one breach of use, in order to withdraw it.

Personally, I'd avoid using a blue badge in these circumstances, others may have different views.
I'd take the practical view.
There is no point in her having a blue badge if no one can stop outside her house to collect her to take her out etc. If someone has their own car, then they can park it outside their place, regardless of whether or not they are actually inside. It's there ready and waiting for them when they need it.
So if she gives you her blue badge - she could even keep it in her house and give it to you when you are there to be squeaky clean - and it's in a car for her use outside her house, I can't see any difference.
Bowlingbun, I'm afraid many local authorities don't seem to share the same point of view. Unfortunately, there has a been a lot of misuse as far as blue badges are concerned. What may have been possible in the past, is now no longer the case in many places, especially in built up urban areas, where parking is a problem, and permits are at a premium. Displaying a blue badge in such areas is often not enough, especially if the holder is not the registered vehicle keeper, and is not using the vehicle, either as a driver or passenger, on a very regular basis.

If however, the blue badge holder, or their spouse, partner, or carer (usually living with them), is the vehicle keeper, and they have a local authority disabled parking bay, then different rules apply.

Picking up, and dropping off is one thing, and it doesn't require a blue badge, in most situations. Parking long-term (usually up to three hours) in a restricted area, is something completely different. Displaying a blue badge doesn't exempt the vehicle keeper from parking charges and/or restrictions, where the vehicle is deemed to have been parked in contravention of local by-laws. Any waiver, is usually discretionary.

The blue badge offers certain limited exemptions to holders in many places, according to local legislation. It can also be used in privately run supermarket car parks (where it is recognised) - however, it does not convey any legal rights in itself. It does not give the vehicle displaying the badge, any more rights over other vehicles, especially where the said vehicle is in contravention of the law, and/or local by-laws. In other words, in Monopoly parlance, it is not a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card, and should not be used as such. Anyone who does, may be denying many other blue badge users, the limited, and much needed, accessibility it provides.
In that case, I suggest that the person to whom the badge is awarded, contacts the authority concerned for clarification. (I live in the New Forest District Council area, never had any problems with my own blue badge when I had one.)
I can't see that who owns the car is an issue, as long as it is being used for the benefit of the disabled person concerned. The badge is issued to a person, not a car.
The badge is issued to a person, not a car.
Which is exactly what I said:
The blue badge is for the person, not the vehicle.
It does not however, exempt anyone from the law, or local by-laws, even when it used within the terms and conditions under which it is issued.

I also stated:
especially in built up urban areas
With all due respect, the New Forest doesn't quite qualify on those grounds.

This may be of use:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... lities.PDF

I would suggest you read page 8, where it states:

"You must never give the badge to friends or family to allow them to park for free, even if they are visiting you."

"You should not use the badge to allow non-disabled people to take advantage of the benefits while you sit in the car."

"It is a criminal offence to misuse a badge. This includes people other than the badge holder taking advantage of the parking concessions provided under the scheme."

Please be aware of the last statement, where it highlights the criminality involved when a blue badge is misused. This not only applies to the holder of the badge, but also, where applicable, the person committing the offence. Both would be deemed responsible, under English Law. Also note, there may be different, but just as strict rules, in Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland. And, also within the European Union, along with other non-EU European countries such as Switzerland.

The blue badge is a concession, not a right. It is discretionary. If you have one, treat it like gold dust, don't misuse it, as it can be withdrawn, just as easily as it can be issued. Misuse could lead to a criminal record.
What about if the car is registered to the address of the bluebadge holder?

Another possibility is that the blue badge holder becomes the keeper of the car, but not the owner (parents often do this with their kid's cars!). It's an easy change to make at the DVLA.

However, the driver would need to check with his car insurer, I would suspect, to see whether not being the keeper, but only the owner (and technically then a 'second driver' maybe???) affects his insurance premium. The premium may also anyway be affected by where the car is at night, so if it's routinely left at his partner's place, that may change the risk (from better to worse or reverse, depending on the crime stats for the area that the insurer will check!). If the car is left equal amounts of time overnight between the partner and himself, that may affect the premium as well??

Finally, from what I've read on this forum a while ago, displaying a blue badge in your car can also be an invitation to theft! I didn't realise until I was told here that thieves actually try and steal your blue badge as it's valuable!!!! (ie, gives parking benefits etc)

Seems a pain in the neck that this all gets so complicated and difficult, when all David wants to do is help his partner!!!