[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
new rugged laptop advice - Carers UK Forum

new rugged laptop advice

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
My laptop is packing up due to heavy use from my son and daughter, already i have gone through 2 desktops and now the laptop is folding, charging lead going, the yellow earth lead split and their is a split in the casing, also a coffee spill, does anyone now of anything that will take a bit more punishment, that has the dual use of me also being able to use it ?
Thanks for any answers.
if cost is not too much of an issue - I'd suggest a desktop for the kids and a separate laptop for yourself Image

You could probably pick up both on ebay for the price of one elsewhere.
there is a Dell thats issued to the army but its about £1000 , id do the ebay thing, amy has a £40 compaq and its good that she uses,, matt got memine off a friend (im sure its hooky!) and the girls have ebay bargans. ont he understanding they break it they have to save for a new one
I think i will try for a reconditioned ex military or similar, its just no use getting another ordinary, its like throwing money away, i will look into the Dell though as a toughbook is about 1,800
Thanks

Just looked at the Dell, its out of my reach at 2,600 but thanks anyway
I have a Panasonic toughbook for work use only, and it is absolutely amazing - built to survive a nuclear attack.
I bought my daughter a £600 Gateway laptop three years ago and it is constantly broken - the power supply is dire, always overheating.
You get what you pay for, but if it were my own money I would go for one of these cheap, throwaway mini-notebooks and take my chances.
If your old laptop is packing up, it might be worth finding a local computer repairman to stick a new hard drive in it total cost about £50.

This will be much cheaper then buying a new one. You could even ask him to build you a cheap pc for your kids. I'm sure he will be able to do a decent quality low spec PC for £150. Using all second hand parts.