Pitfalls of a 'carer' lodger - any thoughts

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
A case of .... bartering ?

One for the legal eagles out there.
Chris From The Gulag wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:15 pm
A case of .... bartering ?

One for the legal eagles out there.
Even if the value of the 'work' in exchange for reduced rent were considered income it would probably be less than the total £7500 permitted for lodgers, and under the tax threshold for me anyway.
We don't have any benefits that would be affected by this 'income'
There is no contract of employment and none of the Homeshare companies consider it employment.

Always look on the bright side of life, don't let the darkness drag you down!
Going off the point a bit but I remember a Meet David Sedaris episode in which he talked about looking after a disabled room mate at an American College in return for a discount on his fees. It sounded like a standard set up there.

My first concern would be how to ensure the carer is suitable before they moved in. It's not like an agency that can just change the individual concerned.
nhshater wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:37 pm
Going off the point a bit but I remember a Meet David Sedaris episode in which he talked about looking after a disabled room mate at an American College in return for a discount on his fees. It sounded like a standard set up there.

My first concern would be how to ensure the carer is suitable before they moved in. It's not like an agency that can just change the individual concerned.
Yeah, I think I'm a pretty good judge of character having interviewed a multitude of students and prospective employees over the years, my success rate was way above those of other managers and tons better than HR!
Should also mention that I do have son and daughter-in-law living in a caravan in the garden, the task of 'carer' will be very limited, only needed if nobody else around, it's not a critical assignment.
Students might be good as if useless will move on year by year, whereas a mature person might be far more capable with more life skills.
Won't know until we try it, but don't really want to be paying £150 a month to an agency for 'peace of mind'.
Could rent room for £400 a month and carry on employing local agency carers to call in 3 times a day whenever I'm away.