Carers Commode Tip when caring for a Man

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hi

My husband has to use a water bottle and a commode, he has no incontinence issues just a mobility issue. My tip may be something obvious that everyone knows but here we go:

This works only for men. I line the commode bucket with toilet paper after every use, as long as the male user urinates into a bottle even when on the commode it makes cleaning etc so much easier. It so easy then to empty and there is no residue so a quick disinfect, re-line with toilet paper and you are ready to go again. So its a bottle for wee and the commode for poo. Its easier for him and so much easier for me. :)
I do exactly that for my wife's commode use. I copied the idea from one of her re-ablement carers. No-one really teaches you any of this stuff at all do they?

I also disinfect after use, but if I then leave it a while before re-lining with paper a quick spray with an anti-bacterial spray (it could be anything but the anti-bac seems most appropriate) helps the paper to stick up around the sides.
It took me a long while to discover commode liners - like bin liners but just dispose all in one go, no mess and absobency pad at the bottom, waste in the bin. Wish I had found them sooner.
Hi

Prior to my Husbands diagnosis we had dealt with my Dad's illness, we as a family had got used to trying to resolve issues as they came up, my Mum cared for my Dad for 8 years. When I realised that I was to become a carer I wondered if perhaps there was a course I could go on to learn what to do. My Mum had just adapted as she went along, we would hit a crisis and work away around it. That seems to be the way.

My Mum always says if you come up against a problem someone out there will have had the same issue and thought of a solution. I have spent many hours looking things up on-line, browsing disability product web sites etc, used to be handbags :).

I didn't realise that there were such things as wheelchair trousers, but yes there are. Excellent idea, my husband can now use a wee bottle in his wheelchair discretely and without moving from his chair.

We were told that we would have to consider moving as there was no way of getting my husband out of the house but I found again on-line the Jolly Stair Climber which attaches to his wheelchair and navigates the steps at the font of our home. It was expensive but way less than moving house.

I have had some training from the Neuro Rehab OT on using the equipment, sliding sheets, Mo Lift etc but really its just make it up as you go along.
Tracey_18041 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:48 pm

I have had some training from the Neuro Rehab OT on using the equipment, sliding sheets, Mo Lift etc but really its just make it up as you go along.
I was shown how to fit a hoist sling (and did it just the once under supervision), I was shown how to open the tap on a leg-bag :roll: , and that's it, nothing more at all. Everything else I've had to learn myself or ask someone.

Some instruction/advice on dressing/undressing my wife would have helped. She has no control over her legs and when you start to interfere with them they go into spasm - try pulling up trousers when she's half rolled on the bed and the knees clamp together - one hand to support her, one to pull up the knickers and the trousers and obviously I use my third hand to separate the knees.

We had a pair of slide sheets for a good few weeks before I had any idea what they were - one of the re-ablement carers used them one day and showed me how to use them.
I care for wheelchair bound husband, we use a commode/ shower chair for the bathroom. He uses transfer board to sit on commodewhich I place over the toilet ,difficulty is cleaning him and then having to pull up trousers by going from side to side as he leans each way. Same way to use the shower I pull husband over in shower chair , we have a wet room ,then take him into bedroom to transfer onto bed then wheelchair. Hadn't heard of wheelchair trousers so will look into this to see if they would help. THANKYOU for so much advice.