[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
If you use Faster Payments on Internet Banking... - Carers UK Forum

If you use Faster Payments on Internet Banking...

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
...be aware that any bank signed up to internet banking MUST process payments 24/7.

I had set up a Faster Payment for a credit card, when the statement arrived it showed the payment arriving a day late and a charge for late payment. I checked online that the payment had left my bank on the correct date. While talking on the phone to the very helpful chappie at my bank (First Direct), as well as telling me that any organisation signed up to Faster Payments has agreed to process payments 24/7 (I think from 1 January - I can't remember), he also checked the relevant sort code on the Payments Council website to be sure my credit card firm were registered. When I phoned the CC call centre, 'Dave' tried to insist that if the payment was not there before 4pm, it would be processed next day. When told that I had checked with my bank and the Payments Council website, and insisted that all Faster Payments must be processed 24/7 regardless, he backed down a bit, saying that 'this time' they would refund the charges. I didn't tell him that I shall be cancelling that CC when I am sure I have the refund.

Don't let the b*ggers rip you off - get your facts right, then insist (politely) they do the right thing.
Nicely done, Cotula. They do have to be watched, don't they? And Mr Cameron insists we're too hard on bankers!
I still don't trust the faster payments and always arrange for payment a couple of days before the due date - just in case. I've been tempted to pay on the due date (I also bank with First Direct) but after reading your story, I'll definately stick to paying a few days earlier! Well done for standing your ground, though Image
Jenny,

First Direct did everything right - it was the credit card firm that was trying it on. I take great satisfaction from having a go at organisations that try to mess me about, insurance companies, ISPs, banks - all grist to my mill!

They were not going to be allowed to get away with my money!