[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Personal Assistants - Carers UK Forum

Personal Assistants

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
I found this on my local council website. Does anyone have any experience of it, or similar in their areas? Trying to work out if mum would get better support if we hired directly ....

http://www.people4people.org.uk/aboutus

Juggler - thought this might be relevant for you too.
Hi Anne,
It was recently put forward to me as an option, by social services. They said if I wanted to I could recruit my own PA to help me with my mum. I was told that I could even place my own advert in the Jobcentre to advertise for one.

I haven't actually gone ahead and done it though but it's obviously something that can be done and is allowed.

I believe that it might be easier to get someone via an agency or else you could have to do all their employment paperwork yourself. We have a carers organisation where I live who would do this side of thing for carers to save them having that headache on top of everything else.

Scruffy.
You would only have all their employment/holiday/sickness paperwork to do if the PAs wanted to work on a PAYE basis. Some of the recruitment sites advertise PAs who want to work as Self employed, then you wouldn't have to do so much paperwork, but would have no 'agency' backup.
Talk to your local carers group (the library will help you find yours) and get some advice and information from them.