New resources to support carers with taking a break

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
65 posts
Same consideration ... a break or pay down debt.

In that respect , carers in the lower half with a family ... pressure must be enormous ... I see it with zero hour contact
workers with young families locally ... not knowing from one day / one week / one month to the next if monies will be
comng in ... all with a relative fixed level of expenditure ... watching the gap become a chasm.

As for the latter ... debt ... interest rates will not continue to be this historically low for much longer.
Oh ... for the want of a Poll facility on threads like this one ?

Good idea ?

YES or NO.

Some might attract a couple of hundred responses for CUK to gauge ... close after a calender month ?

A YES and then persue ... a NO and then either revamp or bin ( Or persue whatever the outcome ? ).

Two thirds + 1 either way ... and no Brexit type stalling ?

Would certainly " Revolutionise " the current relationship between CUK and us ... the mere proles ?

A sense of " Our " organisation returning ?

Given time ... polls of our own addressed to CUK ... may save time at that agm ... questions from the floor ?

BACK TO THREAD ... solely lacking in replies as I type ... and clarification from CUK.
bowlingbun wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:17 pm
Alongside the respite there should be a holiday fund, after all everyone else gets a right to a holiday, why not us?
How do i post a message please?
Hi Margaret.

Just repeat what you just did under any thread that appeals to you.

Plenty to chose from.
The thing I found hard was to get one-off cover for medical appointments. Agencies seemed to want regular bookings and even the sitting service couldn’t find anyone for me. My daughter had to come (five hours travelling in each direction!) so I could go to a hospital appointment for myself. It put me off even thinking about a real break and stopped me taking proper care of myself, as I didn’t want to impose on her too much.
The bane of a lone carer , Dusty ?
Yep. It was manageable while he could leave the house (eg I’d get us consecutive appointments at the dentist and we could go in together) but once he was housebound that option disappeared.
margaret_19061 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:25 pm

How do i post a message please?
Check out this posting in the "Tour 'how to' guide for using the forum" at the bottom of the main index.

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/forum-gu ... post-22174
In anticipation of CUK confirming that this service is NOT free , a link to WHICH on the subject of what's out there
in the way of funding for respite care :

https://www.which.co.uk/later-life-care ... pc97y57f2y
Financing respite care.

There are several options open to you when it comes to financing respite care, such as funding from the local authority, charities or self-funding.

One route is through a Carers Assessment ... waiting time for that ... a real post code lottery !

This scheme launched in June ... might be winter before you have that " Carers Assessment " ... ?

( Had to smile .... use of AA mentioned to fund respite care ... for the carer ? ... oh dear ... tax free monies passing from caree to carer ??? https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... 0allowance )

In short , a cap in hand job ... you may get free respite care but ... someone needs to look after your caree in your absence
.... is that " Free " as well ?

" Wanna go and watch a film squire ? Okay , let us know , and we'll look after your caree. Only cost you £ 15 per hour , £ 20
at the weekend. Fully booked for the next three weeks , anytime after that. "

( Slight variation on what was offered to me ... no weekend rate was quoted ... back in ... 2001 ? ... have things changed
over the past 18 years ? )

Now ... a break for a few days ... possibly a week ?

And , if a temporary place in , say , a care home is needed ... what's the cost of that in 2019 ?

Vacancies at short notice ?

Local or ... 5 / 10 / 20 miles away ... fine , if you have your own transport.

How does this Scheme stack up against the actual reality out there ?

7.8 MILLION family / kinship carers ... how many will get to hear about this ?

Perhaps CUK would care to expand on this ... just a little would be fine ?

If it is FREE , and no charge for replacing yourself as the carer , CUK will definately be onto a winner.

Yep ... the phrase ... beware Greeks or CUK bearing gifts ... springs to mind here ?
I think an excellent and really useful start. But doesn't really cover what to do when your caree won't accept care from anyone else. A common story on here. The carer stories are all about the people that have managed to get away and have a lovely time. What of those who's caree has emotionally blackmailed them into staying? Or who social services refused to help because their caree didn't consent to going into respite or outside help coming in? Which is what happened after my Mum had a suspected TIA, Dad couldn't be forced to have outside help in.
65 posts