New carers respite charity - breaks on offer

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
New Saga Trust to Recharge Carers’ Batteries

Respite breaks are to be offered to carers in a new initiative launched by Saga – the leisure and financial services group for the over 50s. The new Saga Respite for Carers Trust will cover the cost of holidays and will ensure continuity of care. Holidays will include river and ocean cruises, UK and European breaks and more exotic locations further afield. Saga will also provide spending money and travel insurance where required.

Key criteria for nomination
• People will be able to nominate themselves or be nominated by others.
• The carer must be aged over 50 (although the person they look after can be any age).
• The carer should have been caring for someone for over 12 months.
• The carer should not have taken a holiday away from their caring responsibilities within the last year.

Link to the site here
This is just amazing.
I can't believe it.
I must be dreaming.

Even if one Carer gets a deal like this - the world will be a better place.

But there must be a catch.
And I find it sad that I now think this way

L
It`s like a raffle, you have to be in it to win it.

Application completed and fingers crossed.

Take care
Meg
its ok but who looks after your caree when iam off to BAHAMAS the old doll does not like care/rest homes strangfer issue -even if she could get into one .

GEORGE======
That's it - we're in ! Not that I could go, with the two boys to look after, but what a chance for GWP ! And good luck to anyone else who's applying, too - I wish you could all go. Image
That's alll very well for a lucky few, but I don't think I can wait another 10 years.
Bringing this to the top again,closing date is August 31st.

http://micurl.com/ywedne

HARD-WORKING carers are being given the chance to win a much-needed break.

The newly launched Saga Respite for Carers Trust is offering an all-expenses paid holiday for people who look after their loved ones.

With the entry deadline fast approaching, the trust is looking for nominations for carers in desperate need of a break.

Winners can expect to choose from a selection of river and ocean cruises, UK and European breaks - or even more exotic locations.

Research by the charity showed almost a quarter of carers have never taken a break.

And more than a third said they suffered anxiety and stress but were unable to take a step back from their duties.

Andrew Goodsell, chief executive of Saga, said: "Thousands of carers in the UK look after their loved ones but many do not have either the money or the support to be able to take a much needed break.

"The Saga Carers Trust aims to provide as many of these carers as possible with a holiday while also ensuring continuity of care for their loved ones.

"We urge people to nominate themselves or carers they feel would benefit from a well-earned break before this year's closing date of 31st August."

The prize includes spending money and professional respite care.

Nominations can be made online at saga.co.uk/health/carers before August 31 or in writing to Saga Respite for Carers Trust, The Saga Building, Enbrook Park, Folkestone, Kent CT20 3SE.

The newly launched Saga Respite for Carers Trust is offering an all-expenses paid holiday for people who look after their loved ones.

Looks like a sales gimmick to me, sorry... you don't usually get something for nuffink'.....
you don't usually get something for nuffink'.....
Rob, sometimes you do. Image
I got a Carer break in Blackpool at Pontins, it was with PRTC and it was FREE. Image

The best thing about it? everyone there was a Carer and there were lot's of people with disabilities so nobody was staring!
Everyone was in the same boat so the presure was off for once and it was just a wonderful, stress free holiday!

What a change! Image
marie x
Thats nice, but there are many of us who are under 50 and need a break now and again. Oh well.