[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers can be sued - Carers UK Forum

Carers can be sued

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Did you know that if you care for a person who has learning difficulties or any person you care for who may sometimes hit out or tear clothing. Even if you are the parent, if a member of the public home or abroad gets injured or clothes ripped or marked you are responsible no matter what age the disabled person is.

You need to get a personal liability insurance, you may think this is covered in your household insurance, for clothing maybe but they class physical injury as a malicous criminal act and will not pay, leaving you to be sued for this.

I had to find out the hard way, even though social services are only there and not very helpful when it comes to this, in my case I found the National Autistic Society has one, you need to be a member of an organisation or charity for the cared for persons disability.
I think someone has given you some duff information there. Could you please check and come back with some quotes or references from other sources?
im with excalibur,, i know we live in a sue sue society but that wouldnt be on the public relations best interest to sue surely????

just left confuddled (no it dont take much but hey im a bit slow at times!)
Why I posted this on the forum is that I have a letter from a solicitor, because my 28 year old attacked a lady near her table when she got agitated over her seat being taken, (autistic routine). The solicitor is making me responsible stating that I should know my daughter is a danger to public and I should foresee a danger to public when I take my daughter out, this is the first time ever this has happened.

I am being sued but I have told the lady's solicitor that I contest the allegations made against me and I cannot afford the sue has I only get carers allowance (and we all know how much that is) the babes only get income support.

I am willing to go to jail, because I feel that carers are put on with too much responsilbility with very little help. At least if this does happen it will hopefully open some eyeballs in the Government.
i understand now! but wot a right load of tripe!!!!! u shouldnt be sued--- bang out of order!
Image Since when did being attacked by someone with autism become painfree compared to being assaulted by anyone else? Having been belted in my time by various ''special needs'' inmates at a residential home I used to work at I can assure you the bruises are just the same Image I don't blame the lady for sueing, it's unfortunate but if the assailant is incapable of controlling their behaviour then whoever is looking after them has to take some of the responsibility for any damage/injury they do to members of the public in a public place.
I know it sounds harsh Pixie, but what if it had been your Amy on the receiving end ?
We have to have Public Liability insurance for the PAs in case they injure someone. Hubby isn't mentally impared or liable to become violent, but he CAN run over someone's foot with his wheelchair. Or rip someone's tights with it whilst passing. Or run into someone if he slips on the controls. Oh, God it goes on and on. I'm not responsible for his actions, so does he have to get it as well? A bloke barged inbetween hubby's wheelchair and the freezers in Morrisons the other day and STEPPED BACK OVER HUBBY'S FEET (instead of walking round him, ignorant, rude B***ard), so what if the bloke had actually TRIPPED over hubby's feet and fallen? Is that hubby's fault or what? Oh, it doesn't bear thinking about, it's a real can of worms this one. Image
Thats right we need a public liability insurance, but it would have been nice to know about this insurance from all the so called professionals my daughter sees. As for people who receive attacks from services and homes, their employer gets well paid for keeping our disabled and they should cover their employees.

However, on top of my problems I am writing to the social services to tell their staff in future to GET LOST. The other day one employee wanted to come for a signature for all the silly form filling which is all they do, nothing else, and told me he would sue me if my babes attacked him in my home. I reminded him that he invited himself for his job, what a cheek some people have. Makes you want God to make them disappear. Image
Why I posted this on the forum is that I have a letter from a solicitor, because my 28 year old attacked a lady near her table when she got agitated over her seat being taken, (autistic routine). The solicitor is making me responsible stating that I should know my daughter is a danger to public and I should foresee a danger to public when I take my daughter out, this is the first time ever this has happened.

I am being sued but I have told the lady's solicitor that I contest the allegations made against me and I cannot afford the sue has I only get carers allowance (and we all know how much that is) the babes only get income support.

I am willing to go to jail, because I feel that carers are put on with too much responsilbility with very little help. At least if this does happen it will hopefully open some eyeballs in the Government.
Do let us know what happens. You see; you are not "locus parentis" as your child is now an adult. You are not an employee, either. You dont actually have any "duty of care" because you never asked to look after your adult child, and you sure don't have a contractual obligation - well none of us do. So my view is, that you cant be sued and they can go and sing in the wind.
Cant the disabilility rights commission pick up on this?