Help with telling the time

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
My DD is in her 20's and has learning difficulties. Every so often we try to help her with telling the time. That time is here again! Image

She has never got to grips with it nor can she understand what 10 minutes feels like or half an hour say. She is using the bus on her own quite often now but we have to tell her when to go and wait for it and also ring her shortly before she needs to catch bus home.

We haven't tried for quite some while and I'm wondering whether anyone on here can recommend a certain way or whether I should forget ways we used to do it. I am not sure whether to give up on the traditional clock face and just start afresh with digital. I really feel that it is something she could do eventually and she often says she'd like to be able to do it herself. She won't wear a watch though & I've explained that if she would, she might get on better.

I'd really appreciate some advice or pointing in the right direction. Thanks.
Hiya Penny, If that was me, I would go 'digital' and get into the habit of saying 'Eight fifteen', instead of 'quarter past eight'. etc. etc. It's a shame ditching the normal clock ways, but if it helps your daughter understand better and cope with life better, then it's worth it. That's what I'd do.
I can see the sense in what Fran says, but trouble is that so many clocks in public places have the traditional clock face that it could be confusing for someone who has difficulty telling time to relate one to the other. Also most digital watches/clocks use the 24 hour system which a lot of people find confusing even when they have no difficulty telling the time.

I presume that you've tried the toy clocks that are used to teach children how to tell the time ? We used to make a game of it when my nieces were small and they got small 'treats' when they got it right. And also do things like saying 'it will be tea time at 6 o/c - that is when the big hand is on the 12 and the small hand is on the 6 so come and tell me when it's the right time'.

With regard to not being able to judge the passing of time - does your DD have a favourite TV programme that she never misses ? You could try saying that 30 minutes (or however long the programme is) is the same length of time as the programme she likes.

You say she doesn't like wearing a watch - have you tried one that she could wear like a brooch ? Like a nurses watch ?
We didn't think Mike would ever learn to tell the time but he eventually picked it up through his favourite TV programmes' start times...the incentive to see his favourite meant it was important to him that he learnt. We've always found this with Mike - if he sees no value in learning something it's much harder (if not impossible) to teach him.

Is there something your DD is really interested in that you could use as a starting point, Penny?
Hey Penny,
How are you getting on with "Telling the Time"????? Hope you're okay.
i wonder if they do a nurse watch in digital?
Have u ever tried the book with Cd from early learning centre? they have a catchy lil song to go with it and learn...
Good luck with it all!
If you go on the RNIB (Blind) website you can get talking clocks and watches. It might encourage her. She justs presses the button and it speaks the time.
Robert
Sorry folks I may be a bit slow on the uptake but what does "DD" stand for? Image
DD = Darling daughter
Bit like OH - other half
Or in our case, when I text people, Orchard House (our place).