musings

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
[quote]Wallander, one of my favourite TV programmes, is back on Saturday evenings. I much prefer this Swedish version to Kenneth Branagh’s demented portrayal – I need my heroes to steady me. Whether it’s Wallander in Ystad – Marlowe in Los Angeles – Laidlaw in Glasgow or Rebus in Edinburgh – it’s remarkable how similar these characters are (Jane Tennison in Prime Suspect fits the same mould). They are all loners – self destructive – struggle with alcohol – and authority. Their domestic relationships are chaotic – which they blame on their work, but we need to ask why – at the expense of a normal life – they find themselves locked in a battle with the bad guys.

For all the stories I’ve read about detective heroes, I can hardly remember any of the plots. It’s their personal journeys of self discovery which stay with me – their collective attitude which steadies me. Heroes sacrifice themselves for a cause bigger than self interest – to help the underdog. This stands out against the moral failure of a society obsessed with wealth and status. They face up to the worst among us – and their victories symbolise our ability to control the savage within ourselves. In the middle of darkness and death, they affirm life – which is what heroes do – but it’s interesting that we prefer them flawed - wounded.

------------------------------------

In the millennium year, 2000, Dahan Zohar and Ian Marshall published a book called ‘Spiritual Intelligence]Web: www.senscot.net
Excalibur

Just musing

A Study in Consciousness.

[quote] In the domains of biology and pathology the existence of cyclic law has not escaped attention. The following passage is from the Medical Review, July 1844]

Telepathy seems to be a normal means of communication between animals in the wild, as well as between people and domestic animals.

http://www.theosophy.org.uk/article.asp?ArticleId=80
Just musing
My crystal ball

I feel very philosophical tonight

[quote]What defines a hero and what place they had in classical society? On the fields of Troy a fallen soldier pleaded with Achilles, the great hero of the Greeks, to spare his life. According to Homer, Achilles replied,
“Do you not see what a man I am, how huge, how splendid.
And born of a great father and the mother who bore me immortal?
Yet even I have also my death and strong destiny,
And there shall be a dawn or an afternoon or a noontime,
When some man in the fighting will take the life from me also
Either with a spear cast or an arrow flown from the bow stringâ€
My hero would be a person who holds out his/her hand to a person who is in desperate need of support(physical, mental,emotional or financial), and walks alongside them, helping where they are able,but just love, when there is nothing else.
I do not see anyone in the public eye who fits that.
My hero would be a person who holds out his/her hand to a person who is in desperate need of support(physical, mental,emotional or financial), and walks alongside them, helping where they are able,but just love, when there is nothing else.
I do not see anyone in the public eye who fits that.
We see it every day on this board, and others, the holding out of hands. Not sure about the heroes bit though as phrase unsung heroes sticks in my throat Image Image
“Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.â€
Unsung heroes is an expression that sticks in my craw.

But I can think of some people who are definitely heroes to me. My parents for two. They taught me to care.