[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Moving house - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Moving house

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Did you follow up the leads I gave you for financial help with moving?

Have you asked Social Services for help, as your wife has autism? I'm really concerned about your description of her legs.

Is there a "Volunteer Bureau" in your area. Where I live there are various organisations with volunteers to help people in need in the community.
susieq wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:10 am
The one piece of advice that I got given years ago and which I've followed with every move since is to have a separate box packed with kettle, tea bags/coffee, milk, mugs and biscuits. Then make sure its the last thing you take out of the old house and the first thing you take into the new one !

Plus I found it essential to label each box with it's contents and which room it is to go into. Makes it much easier for anyone who is helping you with the move, especially if you also label the door if each room - I.e. bedroom / sitting room etc. Saves them having to keep asking you !

And don't try and unpack/arrange everything in one go - take your time; moving house is tiring work.

Good Luck with the move when it happens :D
Some splendid ideas here. And for the benefit of anyone planning a move, may I add a little?

When we last moved, the last thing on the van (possibly even after the box of light refreshment requisites) was the fridge-freezer. It was therefore first off and into the new house, and plugged in straight away. Hence there was no need to empty and defrost it. This of course only works for local moves.

As well as labelling boxes, also label furniture with its intended room. Before the move, we took measurements of the new house and produced scale drawings of the rooms and where the furniture would be placed. The removal firm greatly appreciated this; it made their job easier and they liked the feeling that they were setting up our new home rather than just moving things.

Yes, don't expect to pack everything at once; it takes a few days. We usually start with the bedrooms; get the beds made up; you'll be tired at the end of the day. Then the kitchen, though we make good use of take-away meals if there is any delay in getting it established.
Denis_1610 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:07 pm
susieq wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:10 am
The one piece of advice that I got given years ago and which I've followed with every move since is to have a separate box packed with kettle, tea bags/coffee, milk, mugs and biscuits. Then make sure its the last thing you take out of the old house and the first thing you take into the new one !

Plus I found it essential to label each box with it's contents and which room it is to go into. Makes it much easier for anyone who is helping you with the move, especially if you also label the door if each room - I.e. bedroom / sitting room etc. Saves them having to keep asking you !

And don't try and unpack/arrange everything in one go - take your time; moving house is tiring work.

Good Luck with the move when it happens :D
Some splendid ideas here. And for the benefit of anyone planning a move, may I add a little?

When we last moved, the last thing on the van (possibly even after the box of light refreshment requisites) was the fridge-freezer. It was therefore first off and into the new house, and plugged in straight away. Hence there was no need to empty and defrost it. This of course only works for local moves.

As well as labelling boxes, also label furniture with its intended room. Before the move, we took measurements of the new house and produced scale drawings of the rooms and where the furniture would be placed. The removal firm greatly appreciated this; it made their job easier and they liked the feeling that they were setting up our new home rather than just moving things.

Yes, don't expect to pack everything at once; it takes a few days. We usually start with the bedrooms; get the beds made up; you'll be tired at the end of the day. Then the kitchen, though we make good use of take-away meals if there is any delay in getting it established.
Thanks for the tips! We are going to have to move next year at some point. Where do I find cardboard boxes?
Advertise on Freecycle.
I’m in the middle of a move and it’s stressful event for anyone.

I have found charity shops useful. Instead of moving all the furniture we are starting again with charity donated furniture. They don’t accept rubbish stuff often the stuff has hardly been used so is almost new. If you buy a few items you can negotiate a discount and can get it delivered so no need for furniture removals. Look on Facebook market place for deals.

A man with a van is often a cheaper way of moving depending on how far you are moving. If you can drive hire a van and if you can get help do the move yourself. If you have some friends get them to move you or help with the move.

Lists are useful as you can make a list of what needs doing and as it gets done can tick it off. You then have one less worry as you know the jobs done and your not worrying if it’s been done or not.

When sorting things out what to take with you and what not be ruthless. When you have been in a place for a while you tend to gather stuff and hoard it away thinking this could be useful some day and that day never comes. Think do you really need this or could it goto charity or is it just rubbish that you need to get rid of. Make 3 piles Charity, Rubbish and saving. Is it decent but you don’t really need it. Goes on charity pile. Is it just rubbish that no charity would touch as it’s dirty or in bad condition. Goes on rubbish pile and can be dumped either down tip or in a skip. You need it and use it all the time put in the saving pile. But look at the saving pile and think do you really need it? The more you get rid of the less you need to take and the less you need to pack and unpack.

Look at moving as a new start it’s going to be strange and stressful. But if your a carer you should be used to that as it’s like everyday. You have to adapt to new situations and life isn’t easy when your a carer.