Medication made easy

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
I was told that our pharmacy will supply drugs in weekly blister packs with a strip for each day and the time of day to take each drug on each blister. I rang the pharmacy and they do indeed provide this service and it is suitable for my husband's drugs, even the Asasantin which is normally supplied a special container with a desiccant in the lid, quick call to the surgery and we should have them when we put in the next prescription request. For anyone who cannot always be present at medication times this is probably the most risk-free way of making sure that drugs are taken correctly, particularly if the caree is a bit forgetful, no risk of missing doses or or overdosing.
I was told that our pharmacy will supply drugs in weekly blister packs with a strip for each day and the time of day to take each drug on each blister. I rang the pharmacy and they do indeed provide this service and it is suitable for my husband's drugs, even the Asasantin which is normally supplied a special container with a desiccant in the lid, quick call to the surgery and we should have them when we put in the next prescription request. For anyone who cannot always be present at medication times this is probably the most risk-free way of making sure that drugs are taken correctly, particularly if the caree is a bit forgetful, no risk of missing doses or or overdosing.

You can buy little cases with about 3 compartments in each of the 7 days so if you take meds at different times of the day you can easily tell if you've had em or not.
JohnT. the careworkers and nurses call them dosette boxes. We use the other kind, a single strip of 7 compartments labelled with the day, one box of 7 for each time of day. Which kind you use (a set for the whole day, or a set for a week) will obviously depend on which suits your circumstances.
Hi John, we already use one of these but the blister packs were recommended as more error proof. I think that it very much depends on individual circumstances and the individual as to what works best and I am hoping that in our case using the blister packs will be more enabling than having to supervise and monitor medication use, as someone who after a few days when they are feeling better has a nasty habit of not quite finishing the course correctly I think that I would probably benefit from blister packs as well, much easier than having to count what is left in the bottle Image .
We tried the blister packs for Nan and didn't have much success, so went back to the one with compartments in. I think it all depends on the individual and which method is best suited to them.
I use the compartment boxes and have two of them so that there is always two weeks of tablets ready. Its just in case anything happens to me, then someone could easily give Mum tablets for two weeks and not have to worry. Us carers are always organised aren't we Image
JohnT. the careworkers and nurses call them dosette boxes. We use the other kind, a single strip of 7 compartments labelled with the day, one box of 7 for each time of day. Which kind you use (a set for the whole day, or a set for a week) will obviously depend on which suits your circumstances.

Very true.We none of us use em as im only on 2 lots of meds and can remember em and the wife has no trouble remembering hers either as yet.
I use the compartment boxes and have two of them so that there is always two weeks of tablets ready. Its just in case anything happens to me, then someone could easily give Mum tablets for two weeks and not have to worry. Us carers are always organised aren't we Image

Yep we sure are Image
Very organised, we have to be.
can't use any of these methods for Mum as she insists on seeing the pack the tablet comes from at the time I put them out - then she's sure I'm not trying to give her anything extra. As it is I have a right battle with her most days to get her to take her meds - she's got all sorts of excuses as to why she shouldn't take them ! Ranging from 'Can't have them now as I've just eaten' or 'Can't have them now as I haven't eaten' and even 'There's too many I can't swallow them' - but one way or another I get them down her most days.