[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lifting a wheelchair into the care boot. - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Lifting a wheelchair into the care boot.

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
This firm makes wheelchair hoists.
They are probably expensive though. :(

http://www.autochair.co.uk/products/sco ... mini-hoist
It is one back seat. If is had been a split seat, then that would have been fine. Must admit that boot in this model of Corsa is tiny. My last Corsa which was 10 years older, had a larger boot, but as I have said already, when I bought this car, I had no idea that his mobility would decline so quickly.
I know what you mean - the boot on my old 1L P-reg Polo was huge for a small car. New cars just don't have the boot space they used to.
I have to take the wheels and footrests off my mums wheelchair to fit it into the boot. It's heavy to lift and push.
I once saw a wheelchair user in a public car park, on his own. He transferred from the chair directly into the driver's seat, then pulled down something on his roof, put the chair in the contraption, the chair then went up into a special roof rack type fitting, and off he drove. I've never seen the same thing since, but maybe this might be the solution to those with a small car?
When I investigated getting a small scooter for myself, when waiting for knee replacements, I found that there were hoists available to put a scooter into a boot. My scooter was too heavy for me to lift, as I've had major abdominal surgery. There seemed to be a general assumption that anyone with a wheelchair was tiny, and would be accompanied at all times by a hunk. I wish!!!
I don't know if Irene has managed to find a solution, but as I have several different people in the family with mobility issues, perhaps these points may help her or anyone in a similar situation.

We bought a Focus estate for the wheelchair friendly boot, without a lip, and the low seats. Those high people carrier types may have lots of room in the back but are hopeless for little old ladies who can still manage to get into a car.

To assist those little old ladies to get into the car, we put a simple plastic carrier, the bag for life sort, on the seat. Then it is easy to swivel from the side to the front of the seat.

We have a Honda Jazz in the family. The main problem with loading the wheelchair is the lip. This has been sorted by adding a sort of false floor, initially we tested with just a pile of wooden blocks to see if the idea would work! The chair is loaded folded, but vertical, by resting the back wheels on the ground, lifting the front up by pivoting on the back wheels, then lifting the back wheels and rolling forward. The chair is secured with a bunjee to a ring at the side of the boot. It's much easier than it sounds, as at no point do you have to take the whole weight. Putting the brakes on makes it easier, and sometimes folding the handles down just before the final push.

A few years ago we accidentally discovered TGA powerpacks, https://www.tgamobility.co.uk/range/pow ... erpack-duo which are powered wheels that are added to a manual wheelchair and crucially are operated by the pusher, essential when the passenger is blind as ours is. They are often available on ebay for a fraction of the original price. It takes a couple of minutes to fit to the chair each time, only the first time is a bit tricky! Then, you have help to push and it makes life so much easier. It comes apart easily and each piece is not too heavy to load. An absolute godsend, I wish we'd known about them 20 years or more ago.

Hope some of this helps someone.