Landlord wants to sell

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
63 posts
Rent controls are hopeless, they just distort the market. in the end, we all have to live where we can afford to live - ie, not in London!

re the like's of Amber Rudd's daughter (agree not on this planet if that is what she said) are the scum that occupy council houses/flats even though they are on huge salaries - like that Labour MP and the guy who ran a trade union on a massive salary paid for by his own members....SCUM

(I expect capitalists to be scum - I do NOT expect Labour to be scum too.)
Rent controls are hopeless, they just distort the market

Yep ... pouring oil on a raging inferno ... see the main HOUSING thread for the full sp on that one.
jenny lucas wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:45 am
Rent controls are hopeless, they just distort the market. in the end, we all have to live where we can afford to live - ie, not in London!

re the like's of Amber Rudd's daughter (agree not on this planet if that is what she said) are the scum that occupy council houses/flats even though they are on huge salaries - like that Labour MP and the guy who ran a trade union on a massive salary paid for by his own members....SCUM

(I expect capitalists to be scum - I do NOT expect Labour to be scum too.)
Yes, the best way to deal with the housing crisis is building more houses and limiting immigration (at least until the housing crisis is dealt with).
I hope you live to the ripe old age of 173 , Brian.

Just long enough to see the housing crisis ease.

The arrival of a new plague , perhaps ?

Those low millions in the tent cities will stand no chance !

( Same scenario even if social housing building increased TENFOLD ! )

A housing crisis ?

That really is the best understatement ever made on this forum !!!
This is no help to the poor Man needing advice, but everytime I get a post from Chris from the Gulag, I get inundated by ridiculous large unreadable responses, responses that make no sense. Maybe four of five links followed by a weird comment

People are asking for help, the comments DO NOT help. After years it still makes no sense. One line of help from Sally or Jenny means a millions compared to obscure posts with links...

Just my opinion....
Not advice ... following the frustration members like Brian are experiencing in the housing sector.

Follow the flow of the thread ,,, and who has provided most of the advice ???

Links ?

To external sites for EXPERT guidance ???

As thread stands , Brian has the information ... the most difficult part is what will he do with it in the light of his situation.

Hobson's choice springs to mind ?

Housing crisis ?

The main HOUSING thread makes very bleak reading ... articles from respected journalist and leading think tanks
... Shelter a regular visitor there.

Demand is increasing , supply is diminishing ... and no sign of a future change in either.

Record level of waiting times for social housing reported by several LAs and CCs. ... 20+ years in two London Boroughs.

Gap between level of rents and Housing Allowance increasing in the BTL sector.

Government scheme to help people to get on the housing ladder ... disproportionate number of richer buyers taking advantage , no real help to those on lower incomes ... evidence of house builders taking advantage by increasing their prices.

Conclusion ?
After a really stressful time, I thought I'd found a suitable property, but after two weeks of messing us around the owners have decided they want to sell the house instead of rent it out. I've now got about three and a half weeks to find somewhere. Do you think my current landlord would have the decency to give us more time or is that asking too much?
You can only try , Brian.

I will assume that you have been in contact with Shelter since your last posting ?
Chris From The Gulag wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:50 pm
You can only try , Brian.

I will assume that you have been in contact with Shelter since your last posting ?
No, just felt too proud to ask for help. Getting to the point where I have to though.
Definitely phone them, because you need to know your legal rights after the notice period has expired. I'm sure they cannot just force you out, but have to go through a legal process. I worked in an office where my colleagues used to deal with this sort of thing, but that was too long ago for me to give proper advice. Shelter will have all the details you need. It might even be on their website.
63 posts