After all, why else would anyone choose such a thankless job ?

A mainly " What if " type degree ... wherein opposite answers can still lead to a pass ... on par with sociology ( Come back " The History Man " ... Howard Kirk from the 1970s ) ... and £ 30k+ per year.

( Not forgetting , of course , a gold plated pension scheme ... even with a current £ 35 BILLION deficit in the LA pension schemes ... if the worst comes to the worse , the good old tax payers will cough up ! )

Even I could have been tempted ... in a dysfunctional , alternative , reality.

Well ... alternative reality ?

One has to earn a crust ... and a whole loaf ... occasionly ?

" Principles ? Sorry , it's my job ... and £ 30k+ per year ... not forgetting me gold plated pension. "

One step forward ?

" Carer Affairs " sections in all LAs ?

SWs ... or former carers ... experience in the target sector all that's really needed ... armed withn a " Yes / no " blueprint from their Chief.

( Bear in mind the degrees on offer to become a SW ... particularly the family / kinship carers element therein ... passing references to understand CarerLand ??? )

Given that choice , who would YOU select to be your contact point in any LA ?

One step too far ?

Not for 7.8 MILLION family / kinship carers ... not counting those joining our ranks later today.

Nothing against the author ... " Social worker " ... a red flag to 7.8 million of us ... millions of former carers ... bulls and ... ssssh , you know what ?