How to become a Social Worker

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
If you have any interest in Social Work then I think you’ll find this a really interesting read, especially the honest opinion of a senior Social Worker. I find that Social Care can be massively glamourised by the media, so it's important that aspiring Social Workers have the correct information before applying.

If you are a Social Worker and want to contribute to, or if you feel that something needs changing, please comment in this forum post.

I've had an amazing response from Social Workers across the UK and I hope you enjoy it too!

https://www.seven-resourcing.com/social ... al-worker/
George, the purpose of this forum is to support folk who care for family and friends, not a place to advertise.

Unfortunately, I think many of our members have found the reality of what a social worker can/ does do falls very short of your idealised description.

Melly1 moderator
Something the vast majority of family carers will have nightmares about.

Switching sides ... from being oppressed to becoming an oppressor ?

Or , more bluntly , a slave to an overseer ?
Melly1 wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:44 pm
George, the purpose of this forum is to support folk who care for family and friends, not a place to advertise.

Unfortunately, I think many of our members have found the reality of what a social worker can/ does do falls very short of your idealised description.

Melly1 moderator
Hi! I appreciate your feedback, but I haven't created this blog as an advert. The blog has been written with the support of a whole community of social workers across the country. If you feel it follows an idealised tone, then I'd love to hear what you would change about the description, and I'd be very much open to including your ideas and experiences. The piece is there for educational purposes, and after previously working in the care sector myself, it's a lot more accurate than most of the blogs out there at the moment!
Tempting ... very tempting ... but , even watered down , wouldn't get pass the censors.

Social workers have principles ... like maintaining their jobs when their own bosses are demanding a freeze / cutback in spending which put said principles second after that first priority is observed.

Apply said principles ( Support a clients needs for support services ) and ... a p45 awaits ... so much for principles in the real world out there.

If SWs had any REAL principles , they would walk out , on mass , until such time when they can APPLY said principles to their clients !

How can any SW do their job with one hand permanently tied behind their back ... and no funds to deliver what their clients need ?

A sticking plaster for a gaping wound ?

HOW MANY LOW MILLIONS OF FAMILY / KINSHIP CARERS's NEEDS HAVE BEEN SHATTERED BY SWs OVER THE YEARS ?

" I was only following orders. "

Didn't work at Nuremberg , doesn't work on here.
Hi George,

With juggling caring and working, I certainly don't have time to contribute to your blog.

Perhaps one day your family/a friend will need support from social care and then you will realise how far from reality your description is.

Please visit the forum guidelines for information on the purpose of this forum: https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support- ... ines-21290

Melly1
Hi George

Our last social worker thought it quite acceptable for me to care for my 82 year old Mum & 84 year old Husband when they were both confined to wheelchairs. That must take some training, mind you the working hours seem very good!!!!
"If SWs had any REAL principles , they would walk out , on mass , until such time when they can APPLY said principles to their clients !"

To my mind, the 'bigger villains' are not the 'rank and file' in the SS (or the NHS come to that), but the top managers running the departments (and the hospitals and NHS etc) who toady to government and 'sell their souls' for the humungous salaries they receive.

Those huge salaries are nothing but bribes by the government for reducing the care - social and medical - that the citizens of this country need.

Those chief executives are scumbags. Nothing else can describe them.

They should be CHAMPIONING their overworked staff and underfunded departments, they should be hammering on the doors of Whitehall, DEMANDING more money for the services they KNOW they need to provide - but the 'salary' bribes work very, very effectively.

(For example, I've known of Health Trust CEOS on more money than the Prime Minister refusing to fund a life-extending drug to someone with only 6 months to live otherwise, citing 'we can't afford it'....yeah, and yet 'amazingly', the trust CAN afford to pay that scumbag over £150k a year!)

I tell you, there is a circle of hell reserved specifically for those scumbags....
Nice try but ... " I was only following orders " ... if one has REAL principles , one would NOT follow orders that contradict said principles.

No bayonets today ... a p45 serves the same purpose.

There again ... one's pay packet ... tends to " Sweeten " that choice ... £ 30k + to turn a blind eye to one's principles ?

You'll find the same throughout the supporting circus attached to CarerLand ... WITHOUT exception !

Careers / principles ?

NEVER the twain shall meet !

" Principles are fine ... if you can afford to have them ? "
I think, too, that there is a frustration that the money spent by social work departments on BLOCKING any claims, could be SO much better spent simply funding what SHOULD be being funded in the first place!

Overall, I'm sorry for 'rank and file' social workers, most of whom I'm sure, went into it to 'help' others. After all, why else would anyone choose such a thankless job??
(And we know that, like teachers and nurses, they are CRIPPLED by bureaucracy and paperwork!)

(And the police! I read about how police are now trying to 'square the circle' by doing their paperwork remotely while sitting in cafes and benches on the street so they can have the essential 'public presence' that citizens want. They can't 'police' the country while banged up in offices writing up endless reports....while out on the streets criminals flourish!)