[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers Allowance for Residential Students - Carers UK Forum

Carers Allowance for Residential Students

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hi there

Is there anyone out there who has a young person in residential college who comes home non term times and some weekends? I have been told that I can claim carers allowance when they are home. The claim form is not designed with this in mind and although i do many full weeks they are not consecutive. How do I go about this? I am on jobseekers allowance myself. Does the payment have a different name perhaps like boarders allowance maybe.

Many thanks Image
Hi I have this option with my sons school he can go into residence during week times...but there is no different form for it than the dla / carers one but you can put this information at the space at the back of this form or attach it to go with the form.
Are you able to work out an average over the year ie add up all the care hours (from weekends and college hols and then divide by 52 weeks?) then explain this is what you have done in the notes section/on a separate page and attach.

The helpline should be able to advise, I'd give them a ring.

How is your young person finding college? What year are they in? Do you collect them to come home? What is their special need? (I'm asking because we are trying to secure funding at the moment and I'm as nervous about S getting the funding as him not ... as he/I have never done residential (schooling or respite before.)

Melly1
There are specific rules for this if I remember rightly - check with the helpline before you do anything. I think you'll find that you can show that your caree is with you for enough hours to provide 35 hours of care over the weekends, but it's a while since I dealt with one of these and the rules keep changing.
There are specific rules for this if I remember rightly - check with the helpline before you do anything. I think you'll find that you can show that your caree is with you for enough hours to provide 35 hours of care over the weekends, but it's a while since I dealt with one of these and the rules keep changing.
Does anyone have a copy of the latest rules, in detail, line by turgid line, for Carers Allowance, as used by the adjudicators? They would be useful.
I know someone whose daughter returns home every weekend from her residential placement. It took a few months at the beginning to sort out as some of it depended on how she was funded. I dont know the in and outs, CarersLine will be able to advise better but I do know both DLA ( care ) and CA are paid for those periods spent at home.
She is classed as a boarder.
Does anyone have a copy of the latest rules, in detail, line by turgid line, for Carers Allowance, as used by the adjudicators? They would be useful.
They change regularly, so go to the source]http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dmgch60.pdf[/url]
With the greatest respect, it is a load of pigs trotters from start to finish: here is a random sample! ...
Meaning of temporary interruption
60075 Temporary interruption means any interruption to the period of study other than a permanent interruption due to abandonment of, or dismissal from, the course (see DMG 60077 -60078).
Example
Anjana is attending university for 30 hours a week. On 29.3.10 she stops attending her course because she is pregnant. She gives birth to a daughter on 5.5.10. On
7.6.10 Anjana makes a claim for CA. She states that she will resume her course when her daughter is older, and this is agreed with the educational establishment. She has not abandoned the course. The DM decides that Anjana is not entitled to CA because she is treated as attending a course of education for 30 hours a week.
If you think the CA rules are too complicated, wait until you read some of the other stuff on the same site. It's one of the reasons why there are so many appeals: the staff don't understand the rules either.
[quote]If you think the CA rules are too complicated, wait until you read some of the other stuff on the same site. It's one of the reasons why there are so many appeals]
A deliberate tactic I reckon; they hope many will fall at the first hurdle and get worn down along the way.

Melly1