[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Hospitals and lack of comunication - Carers UK Forum

Hospitals and lack of comunication

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hi all,
What is the problem with ward staff comunicating with carers? My wife is currently in hospital and she phone tonight saying she must have an overnight stay because a member of staff has told her so. She expects to come home straight away and totally disregards that some planning maybe needed. All it needs is a phone call from the staff on the ward to verify if it's ok for her to come home for a night, but that's common sense thinking which they seem not to have. I have raise this problem with my carer support worker and she's on the case. It's hard having to say no to my wife every time she phones, usually within minutes when she wants to stay and saying that the staff are willing to let her go. Is this because they see it as one less person to look after overnight thereby making their job easier or what. The ward staff have my phone numbers (both land and mobile) and yet they are reluctant to use them. Or is is that they say to my wife that she can have an overnight if she is well enough and she takes this to mean she must have an overnight stay. My Wife has been diagnosed bi-polar and psychosis and has been in hospital now for 5 weeks, they have changed her meds, for which I only found out on week 2 after an informal chat with one of the staff. I try my best for my wife but by saying no to her makes me feel horrible, possibly raising doubts in Dawn's head that I might not want her back. I have no problem with Dawn staying overnight but, it something that has to be planned, overnight meds etc.

Cheers for letting me rant a little,
Bernie
I am sorry to hear what happened.

Try to speak to your local Carers Support Service about it. It can be handdled anonymously if you wish. Often better NOT to take a direct approach because those types of professionals DO take things TOO personally Image Image Image

Hopefully, things get better for you soon.

Take care.
my hubby has been in for 3 weeks, and I am finding simular things happen, just go in one afternoon and insist on seeing the consultant looking after her
Better still, make an appointment to see her consultant - it can be asked for. Hope this helps Image
Hi all,
Just a quick update, I have joined a Mental Health Carers group here in Swindon run by the Swindon Carers. I attended my first meeting with other carers and was surprised in how much in common the experiences the other carers have with what I'm going through. Swindon Carers have assigned me a Carer Support Worker and has liased on by behalf with the Mental Health Trust and it was amazing how different the reaction was to me by the staff on the ward when I return Dawn back to the unit tonight, they went out of the way to actually to talk to me and have promised to give me regular updates about Dawn. I'm still waiting for the first CPA meeting to be made as it was over looked. I believe there should be three of these meetings, one at the beginning of Dawn's stay, one in the middle and one prior to her discharge, but after five or six weeks of stay I'm still waiting for the first meeting. I had the head of the ward phone me today to say sorry and he will do everything possible to resolve this. Time will tell.

Not holding my breath for fear of going blue,
Cheers all,
Bernie
Hi Bernie

I work at a carers centre and sometimes when we support carers at meetings they will say things like "their attitude has changed completely" or "that's the first time s/he's been polite to me". Sometimes people will behave very differently when there is a witness there or better still, someone who understands what should be happening. It can open a lot of doors that were closed before.
so true charles, but oh so wrong. why do professional people think that carers are second class people. because thats what it feels like sometimes. Image
Funny how people's attitudes can change. The SS used to speak to my daughter, who's a 24 year old single mum, like she was ignorant and uneducated. That was until she suddenly told them that she'd worked for the police for the past however many years as head of a forensic finance department, had been on various training courses to become a social counsellor and had acquired a number of qualifications in child care and was due to start a part time uni course on health and social care.
BOY, DID THEY START TO TALK TO HER AS A SERIOUS GROWN-UP!
It probably depends on whether you know where to kick them and how. If your lucky, hospital reception may have a complaints procedure leaflet for you to generally ignore but it may well have a useful name within the hospital as a good contact. Ask for a pen and a piece of paper, write your letter carefully there and then explaining who you are, who the patient is, what the problem is and if you can suggest a way of solving the problem (e.g. by 'talking') all well and good. Deliver the letter in person! Feel free to include deadlines!
i have found in my experience that it tends to be the consultants that are rude or unhelpful. there just dont care to tell us anything unless we shout loud enough.