help

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hello, my name is di. long time since i used this site, but i need help and advice.

I care for mother, who suffered a stroke, until recently we were managing well, at least i thought we were, she has sudden became fragile, is sleeping a lot having trouble walking, due to her balance.

GP doing loads of tests and i have requested a assessment by care services team.

How do i hold/lift her if she falls or stumbles.

I feel i have let her down, i cant explain it really.

Can anyone offer help or advice.
Hi Di.

There is no safe way for you to help your mum get up from a fall. You are just as likely to injure both of you. The best thing to do is call out the ambulance service on 999. This is perfectly legitimate. A very large percentage of genuine emergency callouts are to help people who have fallen: for one thing they can assess your mum to see if she's been injured - given that elderly people can be prone to breaking their hips, for example.
[quote]Hi Di.

There is no safe way for you to help your mum get up from a fall. You are just as likely to injure both of you. The best thing to do is call out the ambulance service on 999. This is perfectly legitimate. A very large percentage of genuine emergency callouts are to help people who have fallen]

Charles is right.My wife has fallen a few times and each time i've called the paramedics out and was told under no circumstances attempt to lift her yourself and to make her as comfy as possible and check for any injuries etc and try not to move her.
Also if you catch her when she is falling, it is often better to help her in an assisted fall, where she will land gently and make her comfortable while you wait for assistance.
My mother fell, she is a big lady, she was unhurt but I couldnt get her up. I rang the ambulance, and they came in 20 mins as she was unhurt.
She did however need to urinate because of the shock. Should this happen to anyone, I put a rolled up bath towel in place and covered her with a blanket.
All was well. Dignity kept.
The ambulance crew were wonderful and said never to hesitate calling them out in cases of falls in the elderly.
Morning Di,

For some reason I missed your post and just read where you are from.You are in next town to me.

There is a carers centre in Beach road if of some use to you.I have not been before but met the manager and a few others at various events in the area.You will find them a great help if you do decide to get in touch.

South Tyneside PRT Carers Association
1 Beach Rd
South Shields
Tyne & Wear
NE33 2QA

Tel: 0191 454 3346

Also Blissability is in New Green Street and they are a good source of information.They also offer an advocacy service should you need one.

As regards your assessment dont wait till they get in touch but phone them at least once a week,stress how you need help.

This next link will show you how the council in Shields can help with training if you want it...

http://tiny.cc/Training525

Also ...

Carer Development Workers
There are a number of workers responsible for carer development based within South Tyneside. Their role is to develop services for carers within South Tyneside and to administer the Carers Grant Flexible Fund for short breaks.

If you would like more information or would like to talk to someone responsible for carer development then please contact them via the details below:
South Tyneside Primary Care Trust
Name: Margaret Adams

Telephone: 0191 283 1260

Address: Clarendon, Windmill Way, Hebburn, Tyne and Wear, NE31 1AT

Email: margaret.adams@stpct.nhs.uk

Like the advice said previously,phone for help in times of any falls occuring but if its the actual day to day moving you are still unsure of, contact your GP to see if they could arrange for a Community Nurse to visit you.

Sorry to overload you with all the info but if any questions just holler.Hope you get sorted.

Rosemary
x x x
Image Thank you all for your great help advice, it is much appreciated.

Especially Rosemary thanks for your advice i will follow them up.

Luv di x