[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Getting urine bottles clean - Carers UK Forum

Getting urine bottles clean

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
I've just found that Steradent (or Superdrug equivalent) dissolved in my husband's urine bottle has worked on a slightly murky area that hadn't been improved by a bleach solution and was beyond the reach of a brush. I wonder what else (apart, obviously, from his false teeth) these tablets will clean?
Hi Celia,
I think they will remove the brown stain from inside a teapot.
I expect there will be lots of other uses.
best wishes
Wendy
Hi Celia,
I think they will remove the brown stain from inside a teapot.
I expect there will be lots of other uses.
best wishes
Wendy

Hi Annab,
Why don't you sit down and have a good old cuppa. We will join you.
Wendy Image
Hi Annab,
Why don't you sit down and have a good old cuppa. We will join you.
Wendy Image
from a pot with a brown stain worthy of mentioning on the internet?..........no thanks might ruin my china Image
Just a thought..why are you cleaning bottles???
Should you not be using disposables for this?? I obviously don't know the circumstances.. but I look after my 88 year old father and I use disposables all the way. No fuss no hastle everything new out the box every night or a weekly change depending on the item.

Caring is hard enought without that hastle...

Image))
To be honest I've never encountered disposables (although we've only been in this situation a few months). Do you get them on the national health? Isn't there a huge impact on the environment or, to be less noble, doesn't your bin fill up quickly? or do they collapse after use? I'm intrigued.
Hi again, all on the NHS - deliver direct to the door via your district nurse or on repeat prescription from your GP. My dad had a normal urethra catheter for years and now has a superapubic one(tube comes out just from below his belly button) Change the leg bag weekly and the night bag is just rip open to empty and bin every morning. I am a very green person but when it comes down to my fathers health... using the disposables cuts the chance of UTI infections and thus the amount of antibiotics required to treat them. Yes your option may be cheaper but better for who??? just put Coloplast into Google.. anything else just fire a question back.. we use Trident T1 leg bags and disposible night bags..
Ah - a different situation with different needs, basically. My husband can pass urine normally, he just can't get up to go to the toilet, so what we use are rigid plastic 'mini-urinals' (you see them advertised sometimes for long car journeys, etc.) It may come to a catheter eventually, in which case I'll remember your advice. You must have thought me a terrible cheapskate!
The bottles my son used in hospital were made of recycled cardboard. The downside was that the hospital had to measure the amount of fluid he was passing during chemo, so we used to line them up and await their collection ... but after a while they would start to leak.

In an emergency plastic milk bottles are excellent especially if you remember to save the lid as well.

Now, was someone offering a cup of tea? I'll have mine black thanks and don't bother with the pot just make it in the cup!! Image

Rie