Financial help towards mortgage?

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hi Seafury and welcome!

As far as benefits are concerned, follow up on the advice already given.

But whatever happens you need to talk to the mortgage lender to discuss your situation: most are reasonable and will allow some leeway under difficult circumstances. One person I know managed to get a waiver from all payments for a year (although the interest still mounted up of course) - but it helped at a time when she couldn't manage at all.
thanks for all the replies, I talked to my mortgage company who want this months arrears cleared, 3 more months paid then I can go onto intrest only , and am still unsure of the time scale of the housing benefit. CAB is busy, the woman who sorts out the benefits with the mental health team is busy, soon to be off on holiday for 3 weeks. We are currently gathering up all sellable items just to keep a roof over our heads, including my wifes childhood pony. This is such a rut to be in and I think we will end up losing the house.
thanks for all the replies, I talked to my mortgage company who want this months arrears cleared, 3 more months paid then I can go onto intrest only , and am still unsure of the time scale of the housing benefit. CAB is busy, the woman who sorts out the benefits with the mental health team is busy, soon to be off on holiday for 3 weeks. We are currently gathering up all sellable items just to keep a roof over our heads, including my wifes childhood pony. This is such a rut to be in and I think we will end up losing the house.
Hi Seafury have you contacted the benefits office to apply for income support?

If not you should do it now as they are the people who will pay the interest on your mortgage and ensure you get council tax benefit.

There is also a number to call which is free. 0800 882200.
That is the benefits enquirey line for disabled people, their carers and representatives.

As a carer you are an exception to the rule and you do NOT have to wait 9 months for half the interest to be paid on your mortgage. After 26 weeks the full aplicable amount of interest is paid.

There are some exceptions to this exception to the rules so contact income support as you may not fall into this category if your mortgage is over £100,000 etc.

I hope that helps.
-----------------------------------------
http://disabledkids.myfineforum.org/index.php
A place to discuss our special children and their disabilities
You would normally apply for Council Tax at the same time as Income Support - it should then apply in full from the day you receive your Income Support.