[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Electric wheelchair vs manual with powerpack - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Electric wheelchair vs manual with powerpack

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
The more I read of the experiences of other Carers,the more I think hospital staff should be educated by Carers and disabled people.
I remember struggling with electric wheelchairs when I was working,and that was only for putting them away at night when the patient went to bed. We would hang over them to steer them.In hospital wards that was quite practical,plenty of room and only one or two corners.
We never wondered about how people coped in their home situation. I think it would have helped me and some of the nurses I worked with, to be more compassionate.
Totally agree. We're still struggling with the chair. My back is killing me dealing with it ... I'm having to use one of those heat paddy things at the mo.
T
We never wondered about how people coped in their home situation. I think it would have helped me and some of the nurses I worked with, to be more compassionate.
I paint the door sides a lot Image Image Image
Interesting thread.
Does anyone know if these manual chairs with powerpack can be taken on a bus?
I ask because my dear father-in-law is getting too old to drive now and thinking of giving up his car so they are going to have to rely on public transport for the shops etc. Mother-in-law currently uses a small Electric Mobility Scooter (Wispa) as father-in-law couldn't push her in a manual chair and although the scooter is fairly small, it's not allowed on buses in their area. (Grantham)
Providing the wheelchair is standard, i.e. fits in the space provided on the bus, then yes (ours isn't and doesn't!) but I should ask first and make sure, nothing more embarrassing than being chucked off the bus!
We haven't tried it on a bus however we have had problems pushing manual wheelchair with a powerpack up a ramp of any description so I'd not really want to chance it. That is of course presuming there's enough space on the bus for a wheelchair ... normally full of buggies for small children. (Whatever happened to folding them up!? Wasn't like that in my day! Image lol)