[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Discretionary Housing Payment. - Carers UK Forum

Discretionary Housing Payment.

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hi just a word of warning to anyone who is thinking or has a DHP.
We get housing benefit help for a 2 bedroomed private sector rented house, we sleep in the same room at the moment but there is going to come a time where this will not be possible because of OH illness, and as OH is on ESA I applied for a DHP to make up the benefit, we are in fact hit by the bedroom tax! local autority give us 343 of a 500 per month rent, and from October to end of April 2015 had a DHP of 104.
NOW it's a new tax year and I was told we had to re apply for DHP for this year, which I did, I got a letter this morning to say no more DHP is going to be given to us as it is only a temporary award and we should consider our options of finding a job or move to a cheaper house!
I am appauled that the council can do this to a disabled person, my OH has dementia and the thought of having to move would cause us so much stress/confusion which is not good for him.
So we may have got his PIP but some of it will go to pay the shortfall on rent!
Also I have now decided to vote for any party that scraps the bedroom tax! it is so unfair.
I worked in housing for a while and yes I agree the bedroom tax is hugely unfair. I think a lot of people are waiting for this welfare debate to see if any of the parties are actualy prepared to say what they would or wouldn't scrap.
just been reading a disability rights article and it says the DHP comes from DWP apparently £40m and any that the local authority do not award gets handed back to DWP, this is disgraceful.
And DLA orPIP should not be used as part of income to pay shortfall in rent, well hello it will have to be as we live in a rural area where social housing is in short supply.
Petal, are you paying any Council Tax for your OH? He should be completely exempt on the grounds of severe mental impairment.
Hi Petal,

This link should get you to the DWP's DHP manual.

It's a downloadable PDF file.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9mSs20r ... lBa6FNSYU-
BB no council tax, we have full council tax benefit. it's just the housing benefit that's the issue.
thanks caravanj will take a look
thanks caravanj will take a look,crikey thats one big read, couple of points are says PIP or DLA should not be used for rent payments, and it does not say claiment can not get more than one award, or you have to apply every year, and bedroom subsidy only applies to social housing, nothing about private sector! just another minefield.... and i just feel is this one really worth fighting for, we will just have to pay the HB shortfall out of our benefits as no way can we move house.
Ring the Carers UK helpline to check all your personal circumstances. They will be able to say whether or not it's worth claiming.
Petal wrote:thanks caravanj will take a look,crikey thats one big read, couple of points are says PIP or DLA should not be used for rent payments, and it does not say claiment can not get more than one award, or you have to apply every year, and bedroom subsidy only applies to social housing, nothing about private sector! just another minefield.... and i just feel is this one really worth fighting for, we will just have to pay the HB shortfall out of our benefits as no way can we move house.
Hi Petal,

I seem to recall that there was a High Court ruling where a LA who counted DLA / PIP as income lost their case & DLA / PIP is not counted towards income.

Since HB is paid for private rentals I can't see why there should be any difference.

I would think this is a case for Ms Sturgeon to back her talk with action.