Caring holidays

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hi,

I'm currently caring for my mother who suffers from significant mobility problems and dementia. I get additional help for her for 'personal needs' (washing/dressing) but other than that, I'm doing everything else. I know Mum would enjoy a holiday and I don't have a problem going with her such that we have independence as a pair of tourists. Does anyone know of anywhere where the additional care can still be provided at a holiday destination - or some means of working round it ?

Mike.
Hi Mike,

Maybe try any local carer's groups (if there are any) as they might have organised similar holidays for people or know how to. My local carer's centre organises holidays with caring in mind so, if you know of any local groups, it might be worth a look.

Linus
Hi Mike

Is the additional help you get provided by social services? My mum cares for my dad who has MS. They are able to take a two week holiday in an adapted holiday home on the south coast every year and social services pay an agency in that town for a care worker each morning for my dad - the same as he gets at home. Might be worth speaking to social services to see if something similar could be worked out?

All the best

Chris
Hi Mike

Is the additional help you get provided by social services? My mum cares for my dad who has MS. They are able to take a two week holiday in an adapted holiday home on the south coast every year and social services pay an agency in that town for a care worker each morning for my dad - the same as he gets at home. Might be worth speaking to social services to see if something similar could be worked out?

All the best

Chris
Thanks Chris, this sounds promising.

Talking of Manchester Image have you any suggestions as to the best means of transport from a railway station to the Trafford Centre? Taking Mum by car is the 'easy' option but it'd be a long day for me,driving both ways and wheeling her around the shops. Besides, she'd enjoy the train trip.

Mike.
Hi Mike

You can hop on a tram at Piccadilly train station. Buy a ticket for the Trafford Centre and get a tram that's going in the direction of Altrincham. You get off at Stretford tram station and there is a shuttle bus which goes non-stop to the Trafford Centre - you just show them your tram ticket. I haven't done it for a while but I think it takes about half an hour altogether. It sounds complicated but I promise its a very simple trip.

Alternatively you can walk down to Piccadilly Gardens to the bus station and hop on a 250 bus but the tram is by far the most convenient and quickest way.

Good luck - let me know if you need any more suggestions!

Chris
Hi Mike

You can hop on a tram at Piccadilly train station.
Can you teach my mother's wheelchair to hop ?

Mike.
I thought the trams like the buses had drop down ramps for wheelchairs ?

following is quote from Metrolink's website FAQ section:

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/customerserv ... n=5#answer
Yes, all stops are accessible by means of a lift or ramp. The central section of the tram is an area specifically designed for wheelchairs and prams. The sign on the platform (disabled access) will tell you where to wait to board at the correct doors on the vehicle.
Hi Mike

You can hop on a tram at Piccadilly train station.
Can you teach my mother's wheelchair to hop ?

Mike.
Sorry Mike - bad choice of words! But like Susie says you can get on the tram in a wheelchair.
Mike

We went on holiday to York last year with our severely disabled son. Robert uses a powered wheelchair and also a ventilator to help him breathe.

We went to a place in Selby that was fully adapted - electric ceiling hoist, wet floor shower, electrically operated bed etc. We arranged for our social work department to pay for the same help as we get at home but we paid for the holiday (except the social worker wrote to a charity and got us £100 to spend).

Might be worth a try asking your social work department to pay for the same care as you get at home.

Eun