[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lifting people - Carers UK Forum

Lifting people

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
My partner, whose weight has ballooned in latter stages of heart failure, fell in the kitchen. She slid rather than fell so hadn't hurt herself but I was unable to lift her so called for help. Two burley ambulance staff couldn't lift her either. They were going to call for back-up when it occured to me to suggest using the bath lift. They used a plastic sheet to slide her onto it and then it easily lifted her up. Maybe this would be useful for others?
Hi Don and welcome.

Hope your partner is none the worse from her "slide."

That was very ingenious.

Melly1
Sorry to hear of your partner's fall, I hope she has recovered and regained her confidence.

My partner is also prone to falling. Following a carer's assessment and visit from OT, we received a "Mangar Elk" - which is like an inflatable footstool (best description I can come up with), it comes with electric compressor that plugs into normal wall socket to charge. Slide under or near to caree and inflate - hopefully caree will be able to sit on it which will bring them up to the height of settee/chair. This maybe of help if your partner is liable to fall frequently.
Robert used to have something like this when he was young before he started using a wheelchair - it was called a "Mangar Booster" but he still had to crawl over to it and sit on it to get up. Once he went into the manual wheelchair we returned it to the physio.

Eun