Refusing medicine

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Has anyone ideas on coping with 95 yr old mum who wants to leave the hard way by not taking her medicine? Persuasion doesn't yield fruit, coercertion is out of the question and attempts at rationalising with her is quite unproductive. Her mind still works, but not as well as her obstinacy.
Trickery? Can they be prescribed in a different form and added to her food or drink?

Get GP/DN or similiar to talk to her about it, then you can say, "The doctor says you need to ..." or whoever, then you can collaborate with her, "I know you don't want to, but we don't want to upset the doctor ..."

Or, try the I'm just leaving them there, in case you change your mind technique. Then you have done your bit, but ultimately it is her decision.

Others with more experience of this will be along with more suggestions.

Melly1
Mmm - not sure about the ethics of trickery. Ultimately it's her life and her decision.
I can see where you are coming from but I wonder how things are for her at the ripe old age of 95...?
My mum took the decision to go to bed and wait for God.........her words to the GP and flatly refused all food and drink, although she could be persuaded to have a teaspoon of ice cream. This was mixed 50/50 with oramorph and refrozen in a specially marked container with the GP and pharmacist`s agreement. Mum was 82 and had severe dementia, but was perfectly lucid when she spoke to the GP. It took three weeks for her to pass away, and her only extra pain relief was pethidine injections from the out of hours doctor if he was passing and saw the lights on in the early hours of the morning.

Mum`s sister also took this hard road, but had a chest infection and refused antibiotics, she died in her chair in her own home three days after first diagnosis.

Sometimes it is so hard, but as the GP said to me about mum "sometimes you have to love somebody enough to let them go".

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.xx
No ideas I'm afraid, only (((Hugs))). Respecting someone else's decision can be the toughest thing in the world when it's someone you love. Just make sure you look after yourself, don't forget to eat properly.
Thank you all for your thoughts and wishes. Soon no decisions will need to be made as she's now refusing food. As you say, it's her decision and her wishes are paramount. 'Biting the bullet' now and marking time. God bless you all.
Well done on having the strength to respect her decision.
xx
(((HUGS))) from me too................and RESPECT also.

We are always here for you.xx
I can only echo myrtle and poppetts posts

Always feel free to come on here and vent if it starts to get too much
xx
Big hugs.
x