Carers Assessment (Surrey)

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Thought I would give some feedback and I reached a bit of desperation point yesterday regarding my mother's need. So I referred to your website and then went off to complete an online assessment form. However because I said that I was happy to continue to care for my mother but needed some help I was sent a very standard email informing me that because I agreed to the above statement I do not qualify for a carers assessment - so to me that is a sod off and does not help my situation or gives me any reassurances that Surrey County Council actually give a toss about Carers. So I will continue to struggle on in my current situation as I will never ask these people for help again as you get the door slammed directly in your face.
Hi Anne ... welcome to the canteen ... Surrey CC seem to be in direct breach of their own guidance ? ... as-a-carer

Carers assessment

If you look after someone you have the right to ask for a carer’s assessment. A carer’s assessment looks at the impact your caring responsibilities have on your life and what social care support you might be eligible for.

If you are eligible for support from us your needs could be met by a range of options, including paid services and services provided by the voluntary sector.

If you are not eligible we will give you information and advice on where you can get the help you want.

You can ask for an assessment at any time through our online carers enquiry form, by speaking to our information and advice line or by completing a carers’ support needs assessment online.

The provisions of the Care Act , 2014 also come into effect here regarding carer assessments.

Your mother ... has she had a needs assessment conducted by the local social services team ? ... ssessments

I suugest having a read of the above links ... and then return with your observations as to exactly what went wrong.

Thereafter , some regular posters will add their recommendations as to the way forward.
No, that's not right, if you are a carer you are entitled to a Carers Assessment. I always insist on this being done face to face!
Your County Council should have a Complaints Officer at HQ, not the local office. Make a formal complaint and insist on a Carers Assessment asap. Don't get mad, get even. Revenge is a dish best served cold!
Like many things in life a carers assessment seems like a postcode lottery. My social worker referred me without me even asking, although I'm still on the waiting list.

As others have said your Council are in breach of rules, everyone who cares should be given a carers assessment, it's in your Councils best interests to keep you healthy so they don't have to pay a penny.(horrid world we live in).

Pick up the phone and make a complaint and be sure to keep a record of who you talk to and what is said etc.
Hi Anne
Here are Surrey's eligibility criteria (may even be national). Can I suggest you do the form again making sure you meet the criteria. It certainly sounds to me that as you are at desperation point that it is affecting your well-being and your ability to look after your mother ;)
It's best to fill in these things at the worst viewpoint ... ligibility

Oh, and never ever take a council, nhs, or social services first answer as a correct one (unless it's the one you want to hear) Rule 7 in the unofficial unwritten carers hand book :lol:
Anne, would you like to tell us more about mum? Age, disability, how much care she needs, how much care she currently gets? It may be that mum should have an urgent reassessment of her needs?