[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Carers - Carers UK Forum

Carers

Share your ideas about the practical side of caring.
Hi I need some advice my girlfriend uncle is sending in carers in for 1:30 a week in to help with domestic day to day things
Is this mean I'm not doing my carer's roll right?
All is this so I can have a break?
Simon, it means you are getting help in your caring - and that is really great, you can now count yourself as a 'graduate' of this caring academy: I always say, caring shared is caring halved. Enjoy your break, you have earned it.
That is great news Simon. I also get some help from outside carers and it makes a big difference. I would really miss their assistance now I am used to them. Try and make sure they are really helping you and not taking advantage . Are there any jobs you find extra tedious that they could help with?
I'm going to make a list for them
Is this because I'm not doing a good job for us both?
Hi- no I'm sure its not. We could all do with an extra pair of hands sometimes. Make the most of it. :D
These people are paid care Workers not carers - people who do it unpaid or for carers allowance are carers.

Eun
Simon_1501 wrote:I'm going to make a list for them
Is this because I'm not doing a good job for us both?
I would make sure it is the stuff you find more irritating - such as checking repeat meds. Can you use that time to go out and have some 'you' time?
Simon,
I would take the assistance whilst it's being offered and given and take yourself out of your usual environment.
Even if it is for a short while, get a bit of 'you' time away from things for a while, clear your mind and body and relax everything. And go back 'renewed'.
It's NOT a reflection on your caring capabilities at all, it's just help.
Definitely work out what you don't like doing the most, and get them to do it instead. Changing the beds, putting the washing in/out, cleaning the bathroom, maybe helping her have a bath and hairwash, sorting out her clothes. Use the excuse that these jobs are best done woman to woman! (That's not to say that you can't do them - but no need to tell them that!)
Simon, you're doing a great job, and saving the government thousands of pounds by looking after your girlfriend.

You deserve any help that you can get, and definitely enjoy the break while the care-worker takes over for a bit.

You're doing everything right!!! Well done, and enjoy your 'time off' AND your time with your girlfriend. She's a lucky woman to have you. :) :)

Kind regards, Jenny